We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid Metro

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid Metro

We are arriving in Madrid on the Elipsos on 20th October and need to get to the NH Abascal Madrid. I have checked and can go via Metro line 10 and disembark at Gregorio Maranon.

Does our Elipsos ticket allow us to proceed to the Metro or do we need to purchase a metro ticket?

Would it be wiser for 2 60's age group travellers to use the bus option? If so, how do we get there please?. Google could not find any bus routes for us. We do like to experience the heart and soul of places we visit and not just the sanitized touristy views, but need to be realistic as well.

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.

1. Re: Madrid Metro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:10 am, August 03, 2012
Edited: 2:10 am, August 03, 2012
Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid Metro

You're probably best off (and easiest off) on the metro. I am afraid I don't know much about the Elipsos except that it basically turns into the RENFE system once it enters Spain, and that it's generally referred to as the trenhotel. I suspect your metro ticket is not included as it generally is with all RENFE purchases, although were you to take a cercanias train (a sort of commuter train to the suburbs) it would be. The metro is not expensive though (and since you'll be in Madrid, it's probably worth the 10 ride ticket which you can both use) and you'll save on it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,850 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid Metro

Wombat, do you know if there is an escalator at Gregorio Maranon? I started to reply to Aussienanna's post, but then removed my reply since I didn't know the answer to that question. She probably has luggage, and it's hard work coping with luggage on stairs in escalator-less stations!

Edited: 12:25 pm, August 03, 2012
Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid Metro

I seem to recall there being one, but it's been over a year now. I am hoping I am not confusing it with one of the other Salamanca stops?

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,850 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid Metro

God bless Google. Look what I found!

metromadrid.es/en/…index.html

It seems Gregorio Maranon is "accessible", i.e. it has an elevator, escalator, or ramp.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid Metro

Well done!

Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid Metro

Thank you for your replies. We have decided to use the metro as we travel very lightly with only one carry-on case each and an over the body bag for personal items. We have travelled too many Eastern European trains with stations that only have stairs to ever travel with large cases again. It was more the safety aspect in Madrid which was our concern. The current financial situation in Spain is just making us a little more cautious but after talking and checking more posts, we are just "going for it!"

Thank you for your replies.

Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madrid Metro

An update to my original post:

We ended up using the Madrid Metro and found it to be clean, modern and fairly easy to navigate, and no pickpockets. We had printed off all details of the line to use and the direction of travel, including the stations before ours. It worked well. We did check with a local that we were in fact on the correct platform and after being assured that we were, we sat back and enjoyed the experience.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Madrid Metro

<< The current financial situation in Spain is just making us a little more cautious but after talking and checking more posts, we are just "going for it!"

>>

You will find the despite the bad economy Madrid -and its Metro- are very safe.

Your only concern should be pickpockets, and only in some areas/stations such as Sol. Just use common sense and odds are you'll be perfectly fine.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Madrid Metro

MACPollo you are absolutely correct in saying that Madrid is safe, pickpockets, as you say, can be an issue, but can also strike anywhere and not just in areas such as Sol. I know of someone who was recently pick pocketed on Calle Serrano - best to apply common sense precautions whenever out and about, as you would in any large city.

Edited: 8:04 am, November 08, 2012