We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to visit?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Safe to visit?

Hi guys,

I'm planning on visiting Madrid this summer for a couple of months. I'm wondering how seriously the recession is affecting tourists visiting Madrid. After recent riots in Spain etc I wanted to know if it's still ok to travel there. If anyone could give any advice/info that would be great.

Thanks,

Costa Adeje, Spain
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to visit?

Madrid remains as safe as ever...enjoy it!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to visit?

"After recent riots in Spain etc"...

Riots? These happened mainly in the newspapers! A few limited incidents by a few undesirables... Shame the same media did not bothered with the images of *millions* of peaceful protesters all over the country!

The recession is affecting tourists only in one way: tourists are even more welcome!

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to visit?

"riots" in Spain (Madrid) are comparable to the impact of the "Occupy London" in London. So if you still haven't move out London feeling unsecure because of occupy london, you'll be safe in Madrid.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to visit?

"The recession is affecting tourists only in one way: tourists are even more welcome!"

My friend and travel guide in Madrid said late last year the travel business in Spain grew.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to visit?

We just got back from a 10 day visit and loved every minute of it. We were dead in the middle of the "riots" you spoke of -- they were simply GIGANTIC protests - but everyone seemed peaceful and we walked through several different demonstrations without incident. I do not think you need to fear anything.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to visit?

Not a problem, good luck and have fun. Hubie

new york
Level Contributor
24 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to visit?

we are here now on vacation and are loving it !!! We haven't seen any demonstrations and everyone is super nice. enjoy your planning !

USA
Level Contributor
89 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to visit?

I will agree as well, I was in Madrid during a "protest" but it was very peaceful and certainly didn't have an effect on anything else going on. Do not miss an opportunity to go to Madrid!

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to visit?

Great, thanks a lot for replies. Glad to hear it's all ok - I'm looking forward to visiting! :)

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to visit?

There is nothing different to the London Occupy events as stated above.

Recession is biting hard, but you won't notice much difference to London, frankly.