We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

voltage converter for curling iron, hotbrush and flat iron.

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
voltage converter for curling iron, hotbrush and flat iron.

I've written to the hotels I'll be staying at and all but one said they do not provide voltage converters. Many of my appliances are older and hate to purchase all new for this short trip.

What and where would I purchase the appropriate voltage converter? Will it really weigh like a brick? Seen some small ones on amazon for $8. Are they a waste of $. I hear they can burn out.

Also have 10year old camera and original IPAD1.

Please advise me as to how I should prepare for the electrical differences.

Thanks in advance

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: voltage converter for curling iron, hotbrush and flat iron.

Voltage converters are very easy to find. Walmart, Target, Staples, Best Buy, etc, etc. They don't burn out, but if improperly connected, they will burn out your appliance.....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,238 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: voltage converter for curling iron, hotbrush and flat iron.

And they don't weigh much at all. Maybe 1 lb or less. Also available at AAA and the airports but definitely cheaper at the big box stores. Make sure you buy a converter that suits the voltage of your appliance.

Does your iPad have a USB power adaptor? I use an iPad2 with the little white power adaptor. It specifies input of 100-240V so all it needs is an adaptor for the plug (ie from flat prongs to round prongs).

magellans.com/store/Adaptors___Converters___…

Edited: 7:11 pm, March 31, 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: voltage converter for curling iron, hotbrush and flat iron.

I can't imagine packing all those things. Go buy a curling iron...less than $20. Flat iron.. pack things that don't need the ironing. Hotbrush...don't know the price of that but my guess it's another $20. If you have the newer appliance, all you need is a adaptor for the plug as mentioned by Gigi's mum. Cost for that...under $4.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
200 posts
682 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: voltage converter for curling iron, hotbrush and flat iron.

Check the wattage, not the voltage, on what you are going to be using as most travel adaptors/convertors have a small limit. For example, a 1500W hairdryer will burnout most travel adaptors. Look on the manufacturer's tag on the appliance and it should tell you the wattage.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,737 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: voltage converter for curling iron, hotbrush and flat iron.

Many small appliances are designed to be used in 110V and 220 V places. these should not burn out in Spain.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: voltage converter for curling iron, hotbrush and flat iron.

I agree with Holakjs, but if you don't want to spend any money on small cheap appliances, your hotel may provide hair dryers - ask them. They may also be able to lend you a flat iron.

Do you really need a curling iron for a short holiday?

Edited: 5:12 am, April 01, 2012
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
435 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: voltage converter for curling iron, hotbrush and flat iron.

A travel adaptor will probably not do the job as the voltage is different from eu and USA. I had to buy a new battery charger in the states, and my friends straighteners didn't work when she came over here? Where are you travelling to? If it's just in Europe I would just wait until you get here and buy a straightener with a curling attachment and make do with an iron in the hotels that have them and be a tiny bit creased in the ones that don't rather than worry about voltage converters. :-)

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
200 posts
682 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: voltage converter for curling iron, hotbrush and flat iron.

One other note, almost all hotels now have an outlet in the bathroom that provides 110V and a North American plug

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,238 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: voltage converter for curling iron, hotbrush and flat iron.

Those are 2 excellent points, CanadianinMadrid! Check wattage and use the washroom plug.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: voltage converter for curling iron, hotbrush and flat iron.

I always bring a voltage adapter, and I always have a problem using my flat iron. I've tried in Europe and in South America, with different voltage adapters, to no avail. I'm fussy with my hair too, but have given up, as it seems to be a typical problem with flat irons for some reason. I have a small set of travel hot rollers that works with my voltage adapter.