We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels...Ibis verus Etaps

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels...Ibis verus Etaps

We are visiting Europe, several countries, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands in May; and friends recommend the Ibis Hotel, but also notice online Hotels Etaps, I appreciate if somebody has stay in any of those hotels and if their locations are good in the big cities...we are looking for 3 stars, no more than $ 125 a day if possible. Please need to know first for Madrid and Barcelona...

I meant Ibis versus Etaps hotels

Edited: 2:29 am, March 01, 2012
O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels...Ibis verus Etaps

I do not think either are classed as 3 star hotels are they? Here is a list of 3 star hotels in Madrid http://bit.ly/ykAj4c

ETAP hotels are lower in price than Ibis. Both are what I would call business type hotels.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels...Ibis verus Etaps

Ibis are nice if you don't need 'frills'. I use these all the time for business, and as I have their loyalty card, used them for short holidays too. Basic, clean and functional, usually good breakfast. As said above, more geared to business travellers. Ibis usually will be considered 3*

In Madrid the Ibis Madrid Centro is well located, in Argüelles area (my favorite as I was living there :)). Not in the very touristy centre but just a short metro ride to the sights, and a great, very local, area for shopping and dinning.

In Barcelona there is the Ibis Barcelona Pza Glories 22. Funny enough very close to where I do live now, it looks like Ibis and I have the same tastes regarding city areas LOL! Its again a location not in the tourist centre but with good public transport connection, a nice local area, and not far from the beach.

Etap are more basic, more like 2*. I've not used any for ages, but as far I remember, can be OK when you're on a road trip and you only need a clean bed. Etap hotels are usually out of town. I'm not aware of any Etap in Madrid/Barcelona.

Bon viatge!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,783 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels...Ibis verus Etaps

Antoinette:

Both the Ibis and Etap are hotels belonging to the same chain (Novotel). Etap is the least expensive in the chain.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels...Ibis verus Etaps

Thank you for all your answers, I won"t consider Etap anymore, looking at the maps they do are kind of far from city centres, now with IBIS that"s what we need, clean beds, and safe hotels, just to take a good rest at night, we will have short stays in each city so we"ll be busy all day walking around. But anyway if you happen to know a good hotel in this range in Brugges or Amsterdam give me names ...Thank you again

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels...Ibis verus Etaps

I actually stayed at the Ibis Stopera in Amsterdam.

Costa Adeje, Spain
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels...Ibis verus Etaps

They both belong to the same corporation as well as Formule1 wich is the cheapest.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,453 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels...Ibis verus Etaps

If what you're looking for is comfortable, clean, safe, reasonably priced accommodation, you should really consider a hostal. A hostal is not the same as a hostel: hostals are small, private hotels, usually family run. You will be able to stay much more centrally than the Ibis: even the Ibis that calls itself "Centro" is about a mile from the centre; and the others are all a good deal further out.

I can recommend the Hostal Gonzalo, where I've stayed on all my 7 or 8 visits. It is in the Calle de Cervantes, a few minutes' walk from the Prado and the Thyssen, and from Plaza Santa Ana, 10-minutes to the Puerto del Sol. The street is quiet, the rooms are clean and comfortable, and the English-speaking brothers who run it, Javier and Antonio, are friendly and helpful. The rate for their double rooms is 50-60 euros per night. I chose the Gonzalo originally because it is so close to the museums, but it gives me everything I look for in a hotel, for a good deal less money.

Also frequently recommended here is the Hostal Adriano. Staying in a hostal will be a much more "Madrid" experience for you than staying in a bland, "formula" international hotel chain.

Edited: 6:47 am, March 02, 2012
O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels...Ibis verus Etaps

Antoinette O look at www.booking.com for your hotels there are loads of reviews from genuine guests.

9. Re: Hotels...Ibis verus Etaps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:12 pm, June 12, 2013