We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Thanksgiving dinner

USA
Level Contributor
658 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
American Thanksgiving dinner

My son and his rock band will be playing in Madrid on 25 Nov ... Thanksgiving Day in the U.S. Is there a place in the city where they can get an American style Thanksgiving dinner?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Thanksgiving dinner

Well, I remember reading a review at a hotel...maybe the Intercontinental that has a fine kitchen but did a horrible Thanksgiving Day meal. Also, when our daughter was on her Jr. Year Abroad her university arranged a traditional T-Day meal at Botin's...Also, left much to be desired.

Look at it this way. Spain does great roasts of pork or lamb. Beef not so much and turkey not at all. It's an American bird. I am sure you will disappointed if you try to replicate this meal on the other side of the pond. Go something like Botin's and have a great meal but eat locally. That has great advantages.

Edited: 9:57 pm, October 27, 2010
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Thanksgiving dinner

Well actually, you can purchase turkey in Spain in some locations, but when it come to an American-style Thanksgiving turkey dinner, your son and his rock band may be a little hard pressed. Roast turkey dinners are not that common and for good reason.

Revulgo did a post a couple of years ago, but I don't know if it will still be useful today.

A few restaurants serving Thanksgiving turkey dinner:

'Cornucopia' at calle Navas de Tolosa 9.

restaurantecornucopia.com/cornucopiaEn/htm/i…

'Memento' at calle Caracas 1.

http://www.restaurantememento.com/

'Gumbo Ya Ya' at calle del Pez 15

'O´Neills' at Paseo Pintor Rosales 6

And finally the elegant 'Restaurante Goya' (Hotel Ritz) at Plaza de la Lealtad 5. Thanksgiving dinner for more than €70.

ritzmadrid.com/web/orit/goya_restaurant_madr…

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Thanksgiving dinner

Just tell them to go to Botins for some suckling pig and have a good time. Why does Thanksgiving have to be turkey? I would prefer pheasant, duck or goose myself.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
69,776 posts
3,772 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Thanksgiving dinner

I have never seen turkey on any menu in any Spanish restaurant.

Last Christmas, a Spanish friend invited us to lunch at a restaurant here in Malaga. She had turkey, but she had to bring the turkey herself to the restaurant the day before and the restaurant cooked it for her. The turkey was delicious, but it was not cooked the American way.

USA
Level Contributor
658 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Thanksgiving dinner

Thanks all. What about the other stuff--mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberries, yams ... are those available in Spain?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Thanksgiving dinner

Excuse me, but your request is a bit unreasonable. You're going to Spain, not Austin. Save the traditional meal for when you return. When in Spain... oh, you know the drill. Now, go and have fun and leave the North American traditions behind.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Thanksgiving dinner

Mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberries, and yams?....No.

USA
Level Contributor
658 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Thanksgiving dinner

Alexander - I don't think my request is unreasonable. They will be eating *plenty* of Spanish food while they are there. I just thought I'd check and see if this special American holiday meal is a possibility. If someone from Spain was visiting the U.S. for several months and was able to have a traditional Spanish meal on a traditional Spanish holiday, don't you think that would be a pleasant treat?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Thanksgiving dinner

RobUSA,

I don't think a Spaniard on a special Spanish holiday would expect a Spanish meal in another country such as you are suggesting. Your ethnocentric view of the world is what we Americans are known for. If you want to celebrate Thanksgiving, a typical American holiday, you should go to its place of celebration...USA. Don't expect the rest of the world to accommodate us. All the foods you mention are American foods, and the Spanish may do some of them e.g., potatoes, but I have never had mash potatoes prepared a la norteamericana in Spain.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,810 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Thanksgiving dinner

Maybe be a bit different this year and choose a local Spanish dish or two. It will make your life a lot easier.