We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid or Barcelona?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Macomb MI
2 posts
Save Topic
Madrid or Barcelona?

We re debating whether to fly in and spend a day in Madird or Barcelona before renting a car and heading to Alicante. ANy advic/reccomendations?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid or Barcelona?

One day would be great almost anywhere, so I can't tell you. Whatever you choose will be fine.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid or Barcelona?

They're about the same but totally different. I guess I prefer Madrid. They're a long way to Alicante. I wouldn't want to do that drive. I would much prefer the train.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid or Barcelona?

Alicante being your final destination fly into the Capitol of Catalunya. Barcelona, and drive the coastal route, visiting Tarragona and Valencia.

route planner www.viamichelin.com

accommodation www.venere.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,116 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid or Barcelona?

I preferred Barcelona and all the Gaudi architecture and things to explore. Madrid has enormous and wonderful art galleries but the city itself didn't appeal as much.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid or Barcelona?

how are you arriving to spain? spend the day in the one more convenient (transport-wise). anyway, a single day is not enough to any of these 2 but you can have a nice time in both.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid or Barcelona?

"MAdrid doesn't appeal?" Don't believe that one, but I think the best travel

connections to Alicante, which also means Valencia, would be from Barcelona. The high speed AVE from MAdrid to Valenica is not done, but I BELIEVE the better train (greener way to go) is from Barcelona so that's what I'd choose and try to get part of day looking at Calatrava's creations in his own hometown of Valencia.

encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
944 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid or Barcelona?

bith cities are wonderful. not sure why someone wrote that madrid was not appealing. its amazing. the more you visit the more you love it. go to a bookstore and browse thru some travel books. if you do either city and you have one day take the tour bus to see more of the city...

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madrid or Barcelona?

I'm just back from a second visit to Madrid and my personal choice just based on the city itself would be for Madrid. I can' t wait to get back there soon.

madrid
Level Contributor
428 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Madrid or Barcelona?

Alicante is more or less to the same distance from Barcelona or Madrid. Train connections are very similar from both cities.

May be Valencia and Peñiscola in your way to Alicante from Barcelona re more interesting than any place you may find right in your way from Madrid, but by car the highway is tolled, and from Madrid it is not.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,116 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Madrid or Barcelona?

Heck, aren't we allowed personal preferences any more. We spent three and a half weeks in Spain and I preferred Barcelona, Valencia and Seville to Madrid. However, I thought the art galleries were absolute treasures and was almost in tears in front of Guernica. The vibe of the city just wasn't mine. I don't much like Florence either.

Guide books aren't what does it, I have about 8 on Spain and two specifically on Madrid. There is something in places that "sings" or not to me, and Madrid didn't sing to me. I am quite sure it does sing to some others, from your replies.