We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50's and straight staying in Chueca

perth Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
50's and straight staying in Chueca

We have booked a great apartment in the Chueca area, we knew that it was a gay friendly area and have no problem with that at all, but the more I look into the area the more it seems to be pretty much exclusively young and gay. I have since seen our apartment advertised on a gay website.

Are we making a mistake, I don't want to feel unwelcome, nor that I am intruding on other peoples holiday experience on our only trip to Madrid.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,310 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 50's and straight staying in Chueca

I do not think that anyone will bother you because not all the people who live in that barrio are gay. There are many straight people too.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,245 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 50's and straight staying in Chueca

people are people wether gay or straight!

perth Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 50's and straight staying in Chueca

Thanks, we have no problem with gay men and women at all, I have friends and workmates of all persuasions, it's more a matter of us just being out of place that was the concern.

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 50's and straight staying in Chueca

I'm not as expert on Madrid as some of the other posters, but I just spent a week there and made at least two trips to Chueca, and did not feel unwelcome or out of place--there seems to be a mix of people--all kinds of people.. The national tourist office (on the Plaza Mayor--you should stop in there) even gives a walking tour of Chueca. So I wouldn't worry if you like the apartment. There's great bars and eating places in Cheuca too. And you can still pretty much walk everywhere from there.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 50's and straight staying in Chueca

your apartment probably appears in a gay guide because it's in a gay-freindly area. this does not mean it's a gay ghetto, only that everyone is welcome. the only people who may feel uncomfortable there is the people who have 'issues' with gay people (shame on them)

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,080 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 50's and straight staying in Chueca

You will be fine. I have non gay friends that live there, and they are doing fine. They have never felt unwanted. Have fun

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 50's and straight staying in Chueca

I think you will like Chueca a lot, It has a real neighborhood feel during the day, lots of fun shops, and great selection of bars and restaurants for the evening. I don't think you will feel that you are too "old" to be staying or hanging out there. Its also popular with the international crowd who live in Madrid so you won't feel too out of place.

perth Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 50's and straight staying in Chueca

Thanks everyone, now feel very happy with our decision to stay in Chueca,

it sounds like a great spot. Cheers!

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 50's and straight staying in Chueca

There's a great old place directly across the Chueca Square from the metro-that serves Vermouth on tap--I had never seen that before. Drinking that was an experience. There's also a lot of chic stores, and a pizza place that according to the New York Times, serves the best New York pizza in the whole world (it's closer to Gran Via, on the same street as Room Mate Oscar--on the other side of the street a little farther down). You'll have a great time. I wish I were going back tomorrow. It's an incredibly gracious culture, and you'll feel welcome everywhere.

Montréal
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 50's and straight staying in Chueca

I'm searching for a nice apartment to rent in Madrid and I'm curious to know what you found and with wich renting company - I don't know if it is because I'm too busy with other things right now but I didn't have yet a "coup de coeur" for any apartment in Madrid - I would appreciate a bit of help -