We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plaza Mayor - I'm confused!

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montréal
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Plaza Mayor - I'm confused!

I don't know what to believe anymore. I'm searching for us and another couple (which is harder than only for us). I'm very interested in the Plaza Mayor Apartment but how many locator are renting those apartments. Some looks very nice and modern while others look very simple. Does renting from one instead of another will give you a better choice? Does the apartment inside the «plaza mayor" are a good location? Do you have a better suggestion for a 4 days in Madrid to be in the spirit?

From what I read it is but it seems that Salamanque should be better. Someone can give us a clue?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,109 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plaza Mayor - I'm confused!

Plaza Major is a huge square with apartment blocks totally surrounding it to about 3 or 4 stories high. Mostly they are privately owned so you will get very large differences from one apartment to another in decoration, size and cost.

The square is a real centre of tourism and is filled with people from morning till very late, so it could be quite noisy. Many restaurants and shops, buskers and so on. It would certainly be lively and could be great fun if you are party people.

nickbooth.id.au/Europe09/…PlazaMajor2.jpg

nickbooth.id.au/Europe09/Images/Madrid/plaza…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,286 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plaza Mayor - I'm confused!

Plaza Mayor is a tourist centre, as well as a beautiful square.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Plaza Mayor - I'm confused!

i woudl like to stay near plaza mayor, but i'm not sure i'd like staying just in plaza mayor. it is a very beautiful square but too noisy to my taste. but the area is great for touristy purposes

if you mean salamanca barrio, i like it for window-shopping, but is not where i'd choose to stay if i was a tourist in madrid.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plaza Mayor - I'm confused!

Hi Gatamaula

If you were a tourist in Madrid, what area would you stay in?

I was in Madrid a few years back and stayed in the Santa Anna area. I am heading back again in February and trying to pick a different hotel. I can't remember what area is what as my friend did the map reading the last time and I just followed behind.

Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,286 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plaza Mayor - I'm confused!

Puerta del sol, in walking distance of everywhere, and close to the metro.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Plaza Mayor - I'm confused!

i would choose staying near "opera" metro station, near paseo del prado, or maybe in chueca.

when in madrid i usually stay in barrio salamanca as i've family living there, is ok but not the best location for a first visit

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plaza Mayor - I'm confused!

Thanks

I eventually decided on the Husa Paeso del Arte. The rooms look really nice and I got a really good deal for three nights including breakfast.

From using google maps it's within reasonable walking distance of the major sights.

8. Re: Plaza Mayor - I'm confused!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 14, 2010