We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Corte Ingles and shops...

Athens
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
El Corte Ingles and shops...

On SAturday till what time are shops open till?El Coret Unfles??

And on Sunday is El Corte Ingles open??Thankyou.

madrid
Level Contributor
428 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Corte Ingles and shops...

Check this

elcorteingles.es/corporativo/…madrid.asp

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Corte Ingles and shops...

Some shops close for lunch and do not reopen. others will reopen at 5:00 (17:00) and should close at 9:00 (21:00).

Most shops are closed on Sunday. El Corte Ingles is allowed to be open on only 8 Sundays during the year. You'll have to check the schedule to see what the dates are.

Athens
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Corte Ingles and shops...

The site just gives dates when closed(what holidays) but says all working days and holidays..except ones listed like Dec 25th etc...they open..So I assume that includes Sunday??

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Corte Ingles and shops...

The stores in Madrid are scheduled to be open the next two Sundays for Christmas shopping and should also be open on 3 Jan.

madrid
Level Contributor
428 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Corte Ingles and shops...

The rule in madrid is the following

All shops may open every first sunday of the month, plus last sunday of august, plus every sunday of december, and a few more.

Sol and Preciados streets are touristic special areas and every shop may open every holiday.

The same applies to Xanadu Commercial center, because of the covered ski facility, and to Principe Pio as it's inside a train station.

Small stores may close on the midday and reopen in the afternoons and stay closed those sundays that are allowed to open. Those shops located on Commercial Centers and those who belong to known chains such as Zara, Mango, HM, etc and departement stores as ECI will remain open all the day and will use those sundays that are allowed to open.

Other Regions in Spain may have different rules for opening on holidays.

Athens
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Corte Ingles and shops...

Ok..so EVERY sunday El Corte Ingles is open on Preciados..??Correct????THats all I want to know..if the date February 14th a sunday..a day I will be in madrid and near Preciados..if El Corte Ingles opens every sunday..Thanks..

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Corte Ingles and shops...

No, according to the above sited website of El Corte Ingles, only the first Sunday in February was open in 2009. I imagine it will be the same for 2010, but I can't be certain. I think what Activi was trying to point out is that the stores in the historic center have more liberty to keep these establishments open on a Sunday if they choose, but, obviously there is good reason to keep them open all Sundays in December while not in February. In 2009, again according to the website, the first Sunday of the month was open and then other Sundays close to or on a holiday. BTW, Sunday is considered holiday hours, IMO.

I hope that news isn't too disappointing. Also you can check the website when they update it...in January, I imagine.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Corte Ingles and shops...

According to my count...looking at the El Corte Ingles website, the store was open nearly 20 Sundays in 2009. AND Sunday is not a "public holiday". BUT with 52 Sundays in a year, clearly the store is not open every Sunday.

"Public holidays" I imagine would be March 19, St. Joseph's Day and Father's Day. El Corte Ingles is open that day for people who waited until to get someone for their father. Also, Columbus' Day October 12 is open. I can't figure out why June 11 was open.

I will agree with you that the website is more than a little confusing. Still confused...don't blame you...then call....

"Speak with us on 901 122 122" during store hours in Spain. Ask you someone who speaks English.

Athens
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Corte Ingles and shops...

Yes it is confusing...for some reason though I have the impression it is open on Sundays in Preciados..my best bet would be to try and find someone who lives there and knows for sure....As you said..the web site is tricky.!Many thanks!

madrid
Level Contributor
428 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Corte Ingles and shops...

From the ECI site

"Preciados-Callao Shopping Centres are open on all public holidays throughout the year from 11:00 am to 9:00 pm, except 1 and 6 January, 1 May and 25 December.

"

sundays are public holidays, Preciados will be open every sunday and other holidays except 1,6 january, 1 may, and 25 dec.

I haven't gone myself any sunday to Sol area to check this, but i know that since the last year Sol is a tourist destination and every store in the area may open everyday of the year.