We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to clear Madrid customs?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
183 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
How long to clear Madrid customs?

We are traveling from Miami to Barcelona with a layover and change of airlines in Madrid of two hours. I'm assuming we will be clearing customs in Madrid and I'm concerned that two hours might not be enough for customs and then finding our next flight. However, maybe customs does not occur until Barcelona. Does anyone know the logistics and if two hours is enough in Madrid if we clear customs there? Thank you.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to clear Madrid customs?

You'll have more than enough time to clear customs. Don't get in line behind any Africans; the Spanish authorities will scrutinize them and ask them more questions than Americans or Europeans. If you are neatly dressed and look reasonably prosperous, you will speed through. Enjoy Spain.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to clear Madrid customs?

Sorry, but customs has nothing to do with passport control. First you go through passport control, and then customs, if you need to.

If you are ticketed all the way to Barcelona, then your luggage should be transferred. If not, then two hours will be cutting it close.

The issue with getting through passport control quickly, is not to get in line with anyone who is not traveling on an American or Canadian passport. Otherwise the line will be slow as some countries require more than the simple visa, the stamp on your passport. If you see someone holding a lot of paperwork, or a large family in general, move to another line. It's the same when returning to the States.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
426 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to clear Madrid customs?

To pile on a bit...yes, if you're able to check bags through to BCN, in MAD (after possibly riding the train from the remote terminal) you just do the passport control and then go through airport security.

You may not be able to avoid getting in line behind a "difficult" person/family at passport control. Our flight from DFW this summer arrived immediately after a couple flights from Latin America. The line moved slowly, as almost everyone was carefully scrutinized, and it took nearly 1 hour.

If you can't check bags through, after passport control you'll also need to claim bags, then go through a checkin process for the BCN flight, then airport security. All that isn't likely possible in 2 hours.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
183 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to clear Madrid customs?

Thanks, this helps plan. Our bags will be checked through so I think I will go for the two hour connection time. As always, I can turn to people on this board.

5. Re: How long to clear Madrid customs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 21, 2010