We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

museum of ham

hawaii
Level Contributor
571 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
museum of ham

hello

this is an eatery recomended by rick steves guide books but have read several negative reviews about this place

anybody have a good experience here??

thank you

FBV
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
731 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: museum of ham

I would avoid this place, without any doubt.

There are a few "Museos del Jamón", that are old fashioned, crowded, with very average products and an awfull service.

If the food is bad and the customer attention is even worst, what else can I say?

The most appropiate Spanish adjectives that I would use to describe this place are "batallero", "trotero" and "casposo" (don't try to translate them) ;)

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
323 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: museum of ham

I have to disagree. Admittedly, the service was lacking, but to be honest, we were almost thankful to be rushed out of the restaurant after a week of meals that took 2 hours. We were ready to just eat and get back out to sightsee!

The food is average to good, and the prices are cheap.

Also, they offered a to-go lunch of a croissant with a small amount of ham and one slice of cheese, a piece of fruit, and a drink for 2 euro. Great idea for a picnic!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: museum of ham

I didn't eat there but I did get their picnic to go. I found eating in Madrid to be very expensive and their 2 euro picnics to go was fantastic!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: museum of ham

Meals that last two hours is part of the experience when coming here (although I do only have this kind of meals on weekends!).

I have to agree with FBV. I would even add "más pringoso que un jamón de los que vende" to your list.

There are far better places to have tapas and an excellent iberian ham.

Tourist trap is the word the defines this chain best.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: museum of ham

I had better ham in "Toma Jamon", calle Mediodia Grande 6 or calle Cava Baja 10.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
426 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: museum of ham

You're likely to pass at least one of these as you walk around the tourist areas of Madrid. It's not a big commitment; just go inside and see for yourself. The setup is something like a deli counter, and if it's not crowded you can have a good look at the variety of Spanish products then just leave; no pressure to buy anything.

But who knows; you might see something that looks good to you, or it might be just the right time for a cold drink and a quick snack.

Washington D.C.
Level Contributor
219 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: museum of ham

I've been to a couple of these and to "toma Jamon". The picnic to go is a nice touch if you want to grab something to go or take to the Retiro with you. Toma Jamon is nicer in terms of service.

8. Re: museum of ham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 03, 2009