We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

San Francisco, CA
1 post
Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

I'm planning 2 nights in Madrid and then driving directly to 2 nights in Barcelona. I was wondering, how long does the drive take? And is it ok to make the drive overnight?

This is my first time in Spain.

Also, Una, I understand that you are a travel agent in Madrid. I need to make some flight arrangements while I'm in Madrid -- is it possible for you to email me your office info? I'm tristan091 (at) yahoo (dot) com -- thank you!

Altea, Spain
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
1. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

The drive should take about 6 hours, and it is a major highway route

Phx. AZ
2 posts
2. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

When is the best time/season to go to Spain, east or west coast,which is best?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

The driving distance from Madrid to Barcelona is approximately 4-1/2 to 5 hours, unless you stop for lunch along the way, which I suggest. You follow the NII/E90 out of Madrid to Zaragoza before taking the A2/E90 to Lleida and finally into Barcelona. You'd be advised to purchase the Michelin Regional Map #572 which covers this are in detail. I don't think you'll need a map of the Madrid area unless you plan on spending more time in the area. You should be able to get by with what they give you at the rental agency.

You can check on flights at the following web sites for Spanair and Iberia. Make sure you register on-line and you'll receive their best discounted rates.

http://www.spanair.com/es/

http://www.iberia.com/OneToOne/gateway_es.jsp

Somewhere
5 posts
4. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

Any suggestions on where to get the best deal on a car rental in Madrid?

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
10,359 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

Hi SFBOY, Try doing this. Enjoy your two full days in Madrid. See and do everything.

Get on the talgo train to Barcelona. It leaves Mad at about 10:30 pm every night.

Have an enjoyable relaxing 3 course dinner with wine.

Go to your sleeping compartment untill the the train arrives in BCN AT 07:00 the following morning. Get rsvn for a bed that is NOT above the train wheels.

Now you are fresh and ready to enjoy two full days in BCN.

You have saved yourself one nights hotel expenses and you have rested.

Driving for the first timer in Spain, should not be at night.

We want you to return again and again.

And take back many good memories NOT nightmares.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

…yahoo.com/p-resv-cars-mad-madrid_spain

Madrid
2 posts
7. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

Hola!

I��ve just seen this web page, cuz im planning a trip to Athens. Its nice to hear opinions form the people who live there, so i want to help others with my city!

About the trip to Barcelona, it takes about 4-5 hours to get there by car. You can go by bus (www.alsa.es) by paying about 50-60 ���, not really sure. However, i highly recommend you to take a plane. There are 4 main companies which fly there: IBERIA, SPANAIR, AIR EUROPA and VUELING.com. This last one is the low cost one, and you can get a ticket from just 10 ��� (each flight). Finally it can be from 30-50 ��� all taxes included, and its just 1 hour.

I hope you all have a great time in this wonderful city!

Saludos!

Leuven, Belgium
9 posts
8. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

Less than a month ago a did this trip.

It took us around 4 hours (from Madrid to BCN it took us like 3, but I don't recommend it.. Me friend was driving to fast)...

If you are a student. you can rent a car in ASATEJ... it is like a student agency where you can rent cars, buy ticket flights... etc. I don't know where is the office in Madrid, but look in their web site.. www.asatej.com

By the way.. when I went to Madrid I stayed in a nice. Metropol Hostel.. here is the link hostel,...http://www.metropolhostel.com/

Boulder, CO
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

Just a thought- We flew from Madrid to Barcelona and I think we did it for about 40 Euros each on Iberia. It was cheaper than the train. And it would be much faster than driving. Of course, you miss the scenery though...

Madrid
2 posts
10. Re: Driving from Madrid to Barcelona

For renting in Madrid, i��d highly recommend you to check www.pepecar.com They have Mercedes class A in many locations around Madrid for just 12-16���!

You can also check www.easycar.com

Greetings, and nice trip!