We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel advice

allentown
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Travel advice

Hello,

Will be arriving in Madrid @12:30pm. (airport) Have 6 days in Spain and will be flying back out of Madrid. Would like to spend 2 or so in Madrid and 3 or so in Seville and possibly Grenada.

Would the AVE train be an option to get to Seville from Madrid airport? How long a trip?

Travelling with family of 5, kids 12, 10, and 5.

Thanks,

Paul

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel advice

Okay, when is that all taking place? If you're arriving soon, and don't have confirmed reservations, hotels and AVE, you may have some problems.

allentown
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel advice

Thanks,

Arriving first week of June. We were going to rent a car and drive to Seville but I don't want to waste precious time.

Paul

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel advice

Yes, the AVE takes 2 1/2 hours while the trip with three young children in a car easily could take a day...with adults and few stops it's about 5 hours.

If I were the mom, I would push for the train no matter the price, but....

allentown
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel advice

Thanks,

Can one access the high speed train from the airport?

This seems to be the best use of time. We would do the reverse and spend our last two days in Madrid. We fly out our last day @ 13:45.

Paul

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
426 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel advice

The train is great, but I suggest you also consider driving or flying.

The train leaves from central Madrid, so you'd want a taxi or shuttle from/to the airport.

For a family of 5, renting a car can be much cheaper (though slower). But it would allow you to make overnight stops, like in Toledo and Cordoba, to break up the drive.

You might find flights as cheap or cheaper than the train. Since you'll already be at the airport, this will save you an airport-to-city transfer either on the inbound or outbound, if you can time the flight connextions right.

allentown
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel advice

Thanks,

Renting a car was our original idea. My concerns were time and what need we would have for it when we reached Seville.

Thanks for the advice.

Paul

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel advice

The road from Madrid to Seville is NOT scenic. I'd choose the hi-speed train, you do save valuable time.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel advice

Well, I was surprised. I just found flights for 35E (one way) to Sevilla (Iberia website). Train for adult is double that. So I am wrong about that so Correfor's recommendation makes sense but if all just came from transatlantic flight, I don't know how ready they would be for another...though short flight.

I guess I would go with this best deal for the dates you want...train (which would require getting to the station perhaps two cabs...grrr....aerocity shuffle??? dont' know) and plane.

The car to me seems like the biggest hassle. Luggage, parking (not cheap), keeping your luggage, etc. safe while you are parking (nothing seen from the passersby is safe)....a big headache. Also,

car size and trunk capacity is less than in the US.

But in all of this I think young children can handle this, you just have to be a little flexible.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
426 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel advice

In Spain I've never paid a one-way dropoff fee for car rentals. So you could do 2 one-way rentals and not pay for the car while in Sevilla.

Or, fly one way and drive the other way. Fly the leg where you've got the best connections and prices. If you happen to be flying transAtlantic on AA or IB, fly MAD-SVQ on IB and they'll be more flexible should anything go wrong with your connections, and you can probably check bags through (even though you'll have 2 separate record locators).

I agree that the drive isn't especially scenic, but the road's good so it's not too exhausting.

allentown
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel advice

Thanks to everyone,

We are travelling trans-atlantic when we arrive in Madrid and also will be going to Sicily after our stay in Spain. Already have six legs of plane travel total so adding another probably not the best idea. Looking at train vs. car right now. Want to have some flexibility in Seville. Family wanting day trips varying from Gibraltar to Grenada when in Seville?????

Paul