We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid or Barcelona

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ankara, Turkey
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid or Barcelona

I'm planning a trip to Spain in April 2009. But I have to choose one city. I like historical places and cities have their own chracter. Prague is my fovorite one. So should I choose Madrid or Barcelona?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid or Barcelona

Barcelonins will tell you B.

madrileños - M

:)

look at the flights times/prices

don't forget about Granada

or ... toss a coin

A

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,521 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid or Barcelona

Should I choose Istanbul or Ankara, New York or San Francisco, Florence or Rome...

Do choose your kind of FEEL.

More info:

http://maribelsguides.com/mg_madrid.pdf

http://maribelsguides.com/mg_barcelona.pdf

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid or Barcelona

If you like Prague, you probably go for the "wow" factor. In this case, I believe Barcelona wins with its Gaudi architecture and Picasso museum..without mentioning the port, etc.

To Madrid seems more intimate and definitely more Spanish, but probably that isn't a factor to you. Either way you will have a great holiday.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid or Barcelona

To me Madrid is far more Spanish, and visitor friendly, than Barcelona.

However, and yes I am biased!, although a little smaller Malaga beats both cities for architecture, friendliness, tradition, restaurants, location, shopping and, importantly in April, weather.

Madrid
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid or Barcelona

well I am with Madrid because I am from here, but I can tell you the 80% of the best museums and palaces of Spain are in Madrid and the history in the last 500 years of Spain and a high % of America and Europe started in Madrid.

its my opinion.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid or Barcelona

I would choose Barcelona first,then when in the near future you can go again to Spain visit Madrid.You'll appreciate this city and its beauty much better.

Ankara, Turkey
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid or Barcelona

I still couldn't make a decision. But I have a long time to decide. Thanks everybody for helping.

Madrid spain
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madrid or Barcelona

ft1974, It depends on what kind of trip you're looking for. If you want to see Spain and it's history, visit Madrid. Madrid has it's museums and Royal Palace but also from madrid you can take a 1hr train for around 1-10$ to many of it's historical towns that are rich in history such as Toledo, Escorial(my favorite), Segovia(Sleeping Beauty Tower)and more. I would say, if you're going for bars and younger crowd and to be near the coast, then, you might like Barcelona.

Look on-line for info on those places I mentioned, each one of those places are amazing.....

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Madrid or Barcelona

not denying that Madrid (and surroundings) has LOTS of art and history to enjoy... limiting Barcelona to beach and party is just not fair for a city that has more than 2000 years of history behind (this can't be said of Madrid), a very well preserved medieval quarter, and that is a main destination for architecture buffs due the many examples of fine architecture from several periods (there are a couple of Unesco World Heritage protected sites there, btw)

I love both cities, even I'm biased to Barcelona because is more "my" thing. No idea what "your" think could be...

Anyway ft1974, I did replied to your post in Virtual Tourist too... throw a coin, you can't get wrong with any of both... but you must plan a future trip to the other to compare

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Madrid or Barcelona

As you can take the AVE between these cities in just over two hours why not do both? Then you can make up your own mind!