We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
84 posts
21 reviews
40 helpful votes
Best area to stay

Hello everyone!

I'll be staying in Madrid for the first time in the first weekend or October. I have to say I'm a bit alarmed about everything that is here about safety and picketpockers or about prostitutes and drug dealers at night. We already stayed in many european cities (paris, london, rome, venice, florence, glasgow and so on) and never saw anything that seems to exist in Madrid. We are a family of four with 2 teens and we're trying to pick a "nicer" area to stay.

I found a good deal at Suites Viena Hotel, which is highly ranked here but I'm not sure about Plaza de Espana area. Should I pick one hotel near Prado Museum, Botanic Gardens, etc...or the area around Suites Viena is ok?

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
35 helpful votes
1. Re: Best area to stay

The Plaza de Espana area is okay, but that said, I would look for something a little closer to the Park Retiro area and the Prado.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
73,596 posts
3,830 reviews
3,442 helpful votes
2. Re: Best area to stay

The best area is the Salamanca district, which is quite safe. The richest people in Madrid live there. There are many hotels you can choose from.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
73,596 posts
3,830 reviews
3,442 helpful votes
3. Re: Best area to stay

Barrio Salamanca Hotels in Madrid

The Barrio of Salamanca is the elegant neighborhood where the rich people live and is the safest neighborhood in Madrid. It includes the shopping streets Calle Serrano (Madrid’s Fifth Avenue), Ortega y Gassett (Madrid’s Rodeo Drive), and Calle Goya. This barrios is a short metro ride and taxi ride to downtown Madrid. Some hotel search engines will not allow one to screen by neighborhoods, so here is a listing of the hotels in the area.

1. Hotel Melia Galgos - Calle Claudio Coello, 139

2. Hotel Gran Melia Fenix - Hermosilla, 2

3. Gran Hotel Velasquez - Calle Velázquez, 62

4. Ayre Gran Hotel Colon - Pez Volador 1-11

5. Hotel High Tech President Villamagna - Calle Marqués de Villamagna, 4 (Corner Paseo de la Castellana, 20)

6. Hotel Petit Palace Embassy - Calle Serrano, 46 (Junto C\ Hermosilla y C\ Ayala)

7. Hotel Hesperia Emperatriz - López de Hoyos, 4

8. Hotel Hesperia Hermosilla - Calle de Hermosilla, 23

9. Hotel Zenit Abeba - Alcántara, 63

10. Hotel Catalonia Centro - Goya 49

11. Hotel Vinci Soma - Goya, 79

12. Hotel Husa Serrano Royal - Calle Marqués de Villamejor, 8

13. Hotel Convencion - O'Donnell, 53

14. Hotel Hesperia Madrid - Paseo de la Castellana, 57

15. Barrio de Salamanca Suites - Calle General Oráa, 17

16. Hotel Adler - Velázquez, 33

17. Hotel Wellington - Velázquez, 8

18. Hotel Petit Palace Art Gallery - Calle Jorge Juan, 17 (corner Calle Lagasca)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
91 posts
57 reviews
45 helpful votes
4. Re: Best area to stay

Madrid is the safest city I have ever been to..yes they have gypsies but just keep your gaurd up or you will lose your wallet. I think the best area is the Purta Del Sol area. I am a single, blonde woman and walked all over the city from dawn til dusk and never had a problem with saftey. I did meet travelers who lost their wallets but then again they were careless and obvious marks. although across from the opera house in the queen isabelle square a group of drunks hangs out and somtimes they throw beer cans at groups of people on tours. The cans are empty and this is prety harmless unless you confront them. One of the bums wears an old bedraggled suit and tried to reign the others in and sometimes was able. While in Madrid I would sit in the square on a bench and watch their antics.....the guy who wears the suit used to be a lawyer, or so he says, who developed a drinking problem that consumed his life. he spoke very good english,,it was all very sad.

I think Seattle is far more dangerous then Madrid!!!

my favoite travel secret is to not carry a wallet at all but instead a small bag from a common store and keep about 40 euros in it..while my wallet is back safe in my hotel..although i hide my credit cards and other money within my suitcase in such away no one would find them.

Madrid is my favorite Euopean city. It is simply magnificent.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
84 posts
21 reviews
40 helpful votes
5. Re: Best area to stay

Hello again!

Thank you very much for your suggestions! I'm more confident now. As I said, I already trevelled all around Europe and never had any problems (Glasgow was actually the only city where I was advised not to walk at night, at least around the hotel where i stayed).

I looked for hotels in Salamanca area but they are on the expensive side :/ Untill now the best price I found was for Viena Suites (438€ por 2 rooms/2 night with free internet and breakfast). The hotel Lope de Vega also has a similar deal. I don't want to spend much more than 100€ per night :(

What about riding the metro at night? Is it safe?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
91 posts
57 reviews
45 helpful votes
6. Re: Best area to stay

i did not stay at Hotel Moderno, a hotel in Madrid, but they were the one that booked my trip to Toledo. The location is great, in the heart of the Puerta del Sol. Google them. I never saw the room but the front desk people were very nice and the lobby was classy, I think they are under 100 euros a night.

ps

the best bakery in Madrid is across the street.

7. Re: Best area to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, October 07, 2009