We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I squeeze in a day trip?

texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Should I squeeze in a day trip?

We arrive in Madrid on a Thursday evening and leave early afternoon Sunday. We're planning on the market before leaving Sunday. So that leaves Fri and Sat....should we spend a full day in Madrid and the other day in Toledo or Segovia, or will we want the whole time in Madrid. I really want to get as much a feeling for Spain as possible. Also, choosing between Plaza Mayor or Hostal Acapulco, thoughts on hotel and itinerary?

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I squeeze in a day trip?

There is a lot to see and do in Madrid without spending the day traveling, even though Toledo is relatively close on the train, you may not want to take away for what little time you have to enjoy Spain’s capitol. Have you read Maribel’s Guide to Madrid? It should help you plan your short stay.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I squeeze in a day trip?

Yes, and her guide is what's made me want to take a day trip to one of those great towns!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I squeeze in a day trip?

You can do Toledo is you plan your day carefully and head down early in the morning. Have lunch and take the afternoon train (after 4 pm) back to Madrid. The nightlife in Madrid, the tapas and wine bars, is not to be missed.

Segovia should be saved for another trip.

Los Angeles...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I squeeze in a day trip?

I just returned from Spain and one of my favorite cities was Toledo. I highly recommend taking a day trip there. Do what the person above me suggested! Wake up early and get there, then return to enjoy the night life in Madird. The train is only 30 mins each way.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Rancagua, Chile
Level Contributor
186 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I squeeze in a day trip?

Don't miss Toledo under ANY circumstance!!!

Take the fast train early in the morning (from Atocha station)

You'll arrive to Toledo before it gets crowded.

You can easily cover it all by foot (very tiring though) but it's definitely worthwhile. Don't miss the Cathedral, San Juan de los Reyes, Santa Maria la Blanca, and el Entierro del Conde Orgaz, by el Greco, in the iglesia de Santo Tome.

Take the fast train back to Madrid in the afternoon!

You won't regret it.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde
6. Re: Should I squeeze in a day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, September 10, 2009