We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid travel

portsmouth
Level Contributor
897 posts
29 reviews
Madrid travel

I will be in Madrid from 3 pm Thursday to 5 pm Saturday

We will travel in by metro from the airport

Our accommodation is near the plaza major and we plan to travel to San Lorenzo el Escorial on Friday

Is the metro travel card a good option or should we just pay as we go

6 replies to this topic
Community of...
Level Contributor
440 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Madrid travel

Hi,

In this thread there is info about different options to go from the airport to Plaza Mayor (Sol Station)

https:/…95021862

Regarding El Escorial, you have two options:

1. Going by Cercanías train: you take it in Sol, it is direct to El Escorial taking the line C-3 (The purple one) But it drops you a little far from the Monastery (You would have to walk 15-20 minutes, or taking a local bus after getting off the train).

2. Going by bus (number 661). The bus drops you closer to the Monastery, but it departs from Moncloa Station.

You have two options to go to Moncloa: one is by metro, and the other one is by the bus number 133 from Callao Square.

In this thread you have info about the metro tickets:

https:/…95253398

Community of...
Level Contributor
440 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Madrid travel

I forgot to mention that the info that I gave about metro tickets is in the post number 17 in that thread.

I'll copy and paste it again here:

METRO TICKETS:

You can buy them in the metro machines. There are two options of tickets:

1) The tourist card (Abono turista): it gives you unlimited trips for Metro, Bus and Cercanías, including metro airport supplement, which is covered with this card.

You choose the amount of days from 1 to 7, and the price depends on it. (The card itself doesn't have any extra cost).

These are the prices:

8.40€ one day

14.20€ two days

18.40€ three days

22'60€ four days

26,80€ five days

35'40€. Seven days.

It is necessary one card per person.

It is valid for the days of the calendar (not 24 hours) for example if you buy the two days option on monday, it is valid only for monday and tuesday (Actually It ends on wednesday at 5.00 in the morning).

The tourist card is good if you are going to travel much, but in general you can go walking everywhere in the center.

2) Another option is the regular ticket which is the multicard.

For multicard you need to pay 2'50€ which is the cost of just the empty card, and then you load it with whatever you need, for example with the 10 trips ticket (also named Metrobus) which cost 12'20€, or with single tickets, that cost between 1.50€ and 2€ depending on the distance.

Also you'll need to load it with the 3€ airport supplement everytime you come in or go out from the airport. This card can be used by several people as long as they travel together.

It is valid for metro and bus, but NOT for Cercanias. Cercanias (commuter train) has got its own fares and its own 10 trips ticket.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,381 posts
3,815 reviews
3. Re: Madrid travel

I would take the Cercanias train from the Chamartin Station to go to El Escorial.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
8,315 posts
1 review
4. Re: Madrid travel

You can take the train to El Escorial not only from the Chamartin station but also from Atocha, Sol and Nuevos Ministerios. Schedule:

www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/

portsmouth
Level Contributor
897 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Madrid travel

Thank you

Do you know how much the return ticket would be ?

Thanks

Community of...
Level Contributor
440 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Madrid travel

4,05 each journey by train (8,10€)

4,20 each journey by bus (8,40€)

Reply to: Madrid travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted