We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas Dinner - African food

Level Contributor
88 posts
37 reviews
Xmas Dinner - African food

We have a lunch res for Xmas dinner but are seeking a dinner spot. We love the look of Baobab and Dakar. I am trying to call both on Skype with no luck. Is anyone in Madrid that might do a super special favor and call them to inquire if they are open and taking a res? We are 3 for 9 PM. I hate to ask favors here but Xmas is rather special to us.

Baobab 34 915 272 732

Dakar 915 283 400

Any other suggestions for something ethnic, we welcome

Will bring a treat from the US to express our thanks!

Annie

6 replies to this topic
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
3,415 posts
1 review
1. Re: Xmas Dinner - African food

My advice to you is to call the numbers yourself at around 9pm Spanish time (as you know the restaurant will be open at that time) using either a mobile, or a landline rather than Skype.

Community of...
Level Contributor
440 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Xmas Dinner - African food

I just can say that Baobab is a very humble place, cheap and generous portions, but not a big variety of dishes and I would say that is not very confortable for a Christmas dinner especially if you give it much importance. Do you know what I mean?

I like it a lot but it is more for going a normal day and eat cheap.

Edited: 3:42 pm, October 15, 2018
Level Contributor
88 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Xmas Dinner - African food

We have a nice special family dinner for lunch but want ethnic for dinner. We love humble and low key. Sometimes, our best dining is hole in a wall. Special is only about good food, family and wonderful owners and servers...we prefer to avoid tourist spots if that makes sense. We will call direct. Thanks for kind advise.

Community of...
Level Contributor
440 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Xmas Dinner - African food

Ok then!

Both Baobab and Dakar are senegalese. If you go to Baobab order "Mafe", it is rice and meat with peanut sauce, delicious.

Another suggestion for ethnic food is Nuria restaurant, that is Ethiopian, but I don't know about their opening calendar during Christmas.

Nuriarestauranteetiope.es

Info@nuriarestauranteetiope.es

Good luck! :)

Edited: 7:44 pm, October 15, 2018
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
8,310 posts
1 review
5. Re: Xmas Dinner - African food

Hanan that is also Ethiopian. The food is mainly spicy and eating with your hands has its point. Book in advance the "coffee ceremony". According to the website:

<The entire coffee preparation cycle is performed before you in a ceremonial way. In a corner of the restaurant, a young woman, dressed in a traditional Ethiopian dress, toasts the green coffee beans in a flat metal dish on a small stove.

The aroma of freshly roasted coffee invades the premises. Once roasted, the coffee is ground by hand. Then it is introduced, with water, into a special jar called jebena, which is placed on the fire until it boils. The shape of the container, narrow neck and spherical base, and the skill of the preparer prevent the grounds from mixing with the infusion. The coffee is served in small porcelain cups also following a ritual. It must be done carefully so that no grounds fall>

http://www.restauranteetiopehanan.es/

Level Contributor
88 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: Xmas Dinner - African food

love it...anyone know if any are open at Xmas..

Reply to: Xmas Dinner - African food
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted