We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National day September 10th.

Goole, United...
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
National day September 10th.

Just browsing through the posts,we travel to gib tomorrow...will the shops be open as normal on national day,? or will everything be closed..?

Wanted to do some last minute shopping before our flight home on the 11th.

Level Contributor
640 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National day September 10th.

What kind of shopping are you wanting to do?

Most offices will be closed, but bars and restaurants will do roaring trade.

Other than souvenirs, the only things Gib si still cheap for are (essentially) Perfume, Alcohol and Tobacco. (And petrol, but I can't see you buying much of that.).

The only other thing visitors (most non-UK visitors) buy, is British products - Marks and Spencer, or British foodstuffs, etc.

Goole, United...
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National day September 10th.

Tobacco & havana club ideally.

Level Contributor
640 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National day September 10th.

There should be somewhere open.

You could check to see if the airport duty free shop will have what you want as well:

sacconeandspeedgibraltar.gi/gibraltardutyfre…

(N.b. they should be open on national day, but I have seen the airport perfume shop (which is jewish owned) closed on Jewish religious holidays even though the airport itself is open.)

Goole, United...
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National day September 10th.

Thank you for your reply..the duty free had run out of havana club especial when we went at christmas..even the morrisons in Goole here where i live have stopped stocking it. ! Drastic.. lol !

We'll have a mosey down the high street then on the day & see if any where is open.

Wednesday be a nice end to the holiday to see all the celebrations..all part of the history of Gibraltar...Btw I managed to find out with lengthy research that "Goole house" one of the housing blocks on the right off Glacis road was named after being twinned (informally) in the 60's with my town in east Yorkshire.

We have a block of flats here in our town named Gibraltar house : )

Gibraltar
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
781 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National day September 10th.

You will also find George Jeger House in the Glacis estate, named after the Goole MP in 1969, the year in which Gibraltar and Goole were twinned.

Goole, United...
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National day September 10th.

Wow !! Just got back on line as we have been up in the andalucian mountains fir a few days.

We have a Jeger house in Goole too..Thanks for the info.we have thoroughly enjoyed national day today..long live Gibraltar. !!

Gibraltar
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
781 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: National day September 10th.

It hasn't finished yet...don't miss the fireworks!

8. Re: National day September 10th.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Gibraltar
Recent Conversations