We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BAD review for Renu Bartolo- Ocean Village 216120 Gibraltar

Oslo, Norway
10 posts
Save Topic
BAD review for Renu Bartolo- Ocean Village 216120 Gibraltar

This a review for an attempt to rent the Ocean Village Apartment 216120 in Gibraltar advertised on Tripadvisor and Holiday Lettings ( tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g187510… and http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/ocean-village,-gibraltar/216120).

I first contacted Renu Bartolo about an the Ocean Village apartment 216120 on April 27th).

Five days later she finally responded me. After some confusion about each apartment I would rent (she had two different apartments available), I agreed to rent the Ocean Village apartment 216120.

On April 30th I received the bank information to the account I was to wire a deposit and 30% of the rental (£ 415).

The very next day, May 1st the amount was wired and a confirmation receipt sent to Renu.

On May 2nd she informed that she had rented the apartment to someone else. She offered another options for accommodation or my money back. The alternatives didn't suit me so I required my money back. My account information was provided on May 8th.

Today, July 30th, I'm yet to receive my refund.

I have sent several complaints about it since the problem started and got several excuses explaining the delay.

The owner (Dan Pathirana) had wired the money to the wrong person, the owner was out of town on a holiday, the owner's bank wouldn't do international wires, etc.

I have resent my account information several times to both Renu AND the owner and I still don't have my refund.

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed.

The worst part of it is that I tried to write a review attached to the apartment in question and tripadvisor WOULD NOT LET me. They claim that a review can only be made to apartments that have been actually rented.

Well, that was my intent, that's why I paid a deposit and 30% of the rental. It was the person renting the apartment that canceled our contract without notice and didn't pay me back the one that didn't allow me to complete the rental.

And now they tell me that I can't complain about and write a review??? UNACCEPTABLE!

I am very disappointed and will not rent apartments through tripadvisor anymore. This is a good website to read reviews, but when you can't trust the people renting OR the advertisers to allow you to write reviews if things GO WRONG, I will be looking at other sources in the future.

Regards,

Fernanda

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Village
Ocean Village
750 Reviews
Gibraltar
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BAD review for Renu Bartolo- Ocean Village 216120 Gibraltar

That's really bad. I understand how you must be feeling.

I'm going to ask why you weren't allowed to post a negative review, as frankly, I think you should be able to even though you haven't stayed there. The apartment owner still has your money and didn't complete his side of the contract so I don't see why you can't inform other travellers about this,

Ill get back to you ASAP

Oslo, Norway
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: BAD review for Renu Bartolo- Ocean Village 216120 Gibraltar

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

This is the reply I got from tripadvisor when I tried to post my review:

''Hello,

Thank you for your recent review of a vacation rental.

Unfortunately, we are currently unable to accept reviews of vacation rental experiences that occur during the reservation process or before arrival at the property. However, we encourage you to share your experience through our vibrant forum community, found at this link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ForumHome

While we apologize we cannot publish your review, we appreciate your contributions to our community and look forward to your future contributions. '''

One more time I need to say that this is completely unacceptable!

I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to have my review attached to apartment in question, which is where it belongs if it's supposed to prevent fellow travelers from experience the same type of problem.

Quite unprofessional from tripadvisor!

Regards,

Fernanda

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BAD review for Renu Bartolo- Ocean Village 216120 Gibraltar

Hi Fernanda

I've asked and I've been told that holiday rentals cannot be reviewed unless you've actually stayed in the place. You had problems with the booking but didn't actually stay there so you cannot post a review. Very odd I think, not sure why that is and I will try to find out, it just doesn't make sense.

Basically owners of holiday apartments and villas can do whatever they like with people's bookings, cancel at the last minute, keep deposits etc and no one can review this on TA...very disappointing

Wirral
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BAD review for Renu Bartolo- Ocean Village 216120 Gibraltar

Hi Fernanda,

I'm sorry to read of your bad experience with Renu Bartolo. I also enquired about this apartment and Renu emailed me back saying it was fully booked but she had a garden apartment available instead. This was not advertised anywhere and when I expressed an interest Renu asked me to transfer the entire rental fee plus £500 security deposit to Dan Pathirana, but offered no booking contract. Alarm bells rang so I did not complete the booking.

I fear this is a scam and you may have lost your money.

If you are looking to book Ocean Village in the future I can highly recommend Carrie Jackson who is tourist board approved and has an excellent apartment in Majestic Ocean Plaza.

I hope you get your money back.

Helen

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Village
Ocean Village
750 Reviews
Gibraltar
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BAD review for Renu Bartolo- Ocean Village 216120 Gibraltar

Hi

Helen did you report this to TA? It does sound like it could be a scam

I have found out that apparently holiday rental owners have to pay TA to have their properties listed, something which doesn't happen with hotels, B&Bs etc. they also inform TA if someone has not actually stayed there, hence Fernandas review was never published. Seems a bit biased to me and totally unfair. If I can review a hotel booking that has gone horribly wrong, why shouldn't I be able to review an apartment rental that went wrong.

Wirral
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BAD review for Renu Bartolo- Ocean Village 216120 Gibraltar

Hi

No I didn't report to TA as no money changed hands and was just my gut feeling that something wasn't right.

I do find it strange though that the advertiser has not updated availability at all and is showing as available all through the summer, yet when you contact her she states she is fully booked and offers an unadvertised apartment instead asking for money to be transferred to a third party.

I agree with you that there is a flaw in the trip advisor review system if feedback can only be left if the advertiser confirms a booking has been made.

Helen

Gibraltar
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
951 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BAD review for Renu Bartolo- Ocean Village 216120 Gibraltar

You can contact Renu Bartolo by phone at one of the following numbers.

A thread about this has also been started on a private Gibraltar forum on Facebook. Hopefully we can get a successful resolution to this problem.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo, Norway
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: BAD review for Renu Bartolo- Ocean Village 216120 Gibraltar

Yes, that's exactly what happened to me. I sent an inquiry about the advertised apartment and was then informed the that was another that was't listed available.

This is a nightmare, I'm not made of money is this was real hit on my family's budget. :(

Oslo, Norway
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: BAD review for Renu Bartolo- Ocean Village 216120 Gibraltar

Thank you.

I actually ended up renting an apartment from Carrie Jackson and could not be happier. Beautiful apartment and excellent service.

Oslo, Norway
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: BAD review for Renu Bartolo- Ocean Village 216120 Gibraltar

I wish I had had the same gut feeling. I read some ok reviews on her before I contacted her so I thought she was legit.

Next time I will make sure to remember not believe anything I read on reviews.

It seems like it's possible for a con-person to post a fake review about themselves, but not possible for a costumer to report a scam.

What is wrong with TA????