We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is our 1 day plan reasonable or ridiculous? Help please

Which Gibraltar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Is our 1 day plan reasonable or ridiculous? Help please

We fly into Malaga on a Sunday at 11:30a and are renting car. We want to drive to Gibraltar and tour the rock then drive up to Seville for the night before heading over to Lisbon. I've seen on the forums that it appears the best or only way to tour the rock is to park and then take a taxi tour. We are in good physical condition and have no problem hiking or walking. Questions:

Can we get to the same places the taxi's can with our rental car in and around the rock of Gibraltar, we will have all our luggage in our rental car and am unsure if it will be safe?

Is the best place to park at the site called the "Wasteland" then walk over and take a taxi?

How do we get to the beach where they've filmed people at the fence getting blown away where the airplanes take off and land?

Will we have enough time to tour all around the rock and then make the drive up to Seville or would it be better to stay overnight somewhere closer then drive straight to Lisbon the next morning?

Thanks for any info!!!

Gibraltar
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
640 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is our 1 day plan reasonable or ridiculous? Help please

Allowing for any delays, the time it take to collect luggage and your rental car, traffic etc, your ETA at Gibraltar would be around 2pm at the earliest.

There should be no need to leave your car at the wasteland in La Linea, as the queues to enter Gibraltar should be short at that time on a Sunday. This way you could leave your car in the car park next to the cable car, and then decide on whether you wish to take the cable car (allow at least 3 hours if you wish to take this option), or a taxi tour (allow 1.5 hours for this option).

It would be a shame after travelling such a long way if you had to rush your visit to the rock.

I haven't seen any videos of people being blown around when planes take/off or land, but I will presume this is at the fence on the end of Eastern Beach.

Here is a link to how to find it.

http://goo.gl/maps/4yRjw

There is a Monarch flight due in on sundays at 18.10.

Should you be leaving Gibraltar after this, you should expect to arrive in Sevilla at around 9pm.

Whether this sounds "doable" to you is your choice! I assume you will be getting up quite early to get your flight into Malaga, and for me, the last thing I would want to do is drive for over 2 hours to Sevilla after a day in Gibraltar.

I would stay the night in Gibraltar, and have an early start to Lisbon (6 hours drive), with a break in Sevilla on the way for a spot of lunch and a stroll around the city.

Gibraltar
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is our 1 day plan reasonable or ridiculous? Help please

Hi there

Yes you can take your car upto the Nature Reserve BUT, unless you are a really good driver you might end up in a bit of a pickle. I had to reverse up a really steep hill for quite a way and it is really tight.

I quite often take guests up the rock and it is quite easy to walk. If you catch the number 2 bus it will take you to the bottom of the reserve and then you can walk. Beware it is really steep. When you get to the first gate, Pillars of Hercules, ask someone to show you where the Med Steps are and that takes you up the back of the rock and then you walk down the road to get back. It is quite arduous but fun!

Taxis' well they are obviously an easy way to go and at least you wouldnt miss anything.

Coming into Gibraltar during the day can take a while with the boarder queue! Mid afternoon, siesta time is usually best.

Have fun!

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is our 1 day plan reasonable or ridiculous? Help please

Awesome!! Thanks for the advice. I have a better plan of attack once we arrive :)

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is our 1 day plan reasonable or ridiculous? Help please

You'd see the rock but hardly have any time to do it justice. Bit like driving in to London and seeing Buck House, Big Ben and Tower of London without being able to spend any time at them and then driving off to the sea-side. But we all have different views as to how long we need to experience something in order to make it worthwhile. An overnight stop and setting off the following afternoon would make more sense to me.

5. Re: Is our 1 day plan reasonable or ridiculous? Help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 24, 2014