We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a passport to enter Gibraltar?

Hradec Kralove...
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Topic
Do I need a passport to enter Gibraltar?

Do I need a passport to enter Gibraltar? I am EU citizen and wonder if it is enough to have my ID with me or if I need a passport.

Thanks for your answers

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a passport to enter Gibraltar?

If your I D is a valid document to travel around the E U then it is ok .To be sure bring your passport.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a passport to enter Gibraltar?

I'm not sure, I've only ever used my passport ....but if you have a passport then why not bring that?

Level Contributor
612 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a passport to enter Gibraltar?

If your ID card is a valid EU travel document for travel within in the EU, then you CAN enter Gibraltar using that. Gibraltar is part of the EU.

(it is not part of the 'Schengen area' - so border controls still take place where they check your ID/passport, and it is not part of the 'European common customs and VAT area' so customs duty controls take place, but it IS part of the EU.)

Thousands of tourists and cross-frontier workers use their EU ID cards to cross between Gibraltar and Spain every single DAY. Millions of crossing a year.

Most ID cards issued by governments of EU countries are valid EU travel documents, but you need to check with your government.

Some EU government countries issue ID cards to foreign residents in their country as well as to their own citizens, and it is only the ones issued to their own citizens that are travel documents, etc.

Edited: 5:53 pm, June 02, 2013
Hradec Kralove...
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a passport to enter Gibraltar?

Thansk to all your answers!

We can travel abroad (within EU) to our ID. I will have a passport but my friend doesn't have a passport and will have only ID with her...

Level Contributor
612 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need a passport to enter Gibraltar?

OK, if the type of ID card your friend has from an EU country is valid for travel within the EU then yes you can come into Gibraltar with it.

Gibraltar is part of the EU.

But it is not part of:

- The Schengen Area (like Ireland and the United Kingdom which are also outside). So there are still ID checks at the border, but a Passport OR an EU ID card is ok.

- The Common European Customs and VAT area, (just like the Canary Islands, etc which are also outside). So there is no sales-tax in Gibraltar, but you are limited to 200 cigarettes, etc, per person.

London
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need a passport to enter Gibraltar?

If I go to Gibraltar, is my UK driving licence with photograph sufficient identity?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need a passport to enter Gibraltar?

No. You will need a passport as UK doesn't have ID cards

London
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need a passport to enter Gibraltar?

It does seem a lot of needless bureaucracy and expense to obtain a passport. for Gibraltar.

The latest driving licences, a plastic card with photo and holographic anti-copy features must be just as secure as a passport.

OK, I'll go to the Isle of Wight instead!

Level Contributor
612 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need a passport to enter Gibraltar?

The security of the document is not in question, nor is its ability to prove your identity. (Name to face, etc).

Accordingly, you can use it to board domestic flights, etc. However Gibraltar is not a domestic destination. While it has an 'integrated constitutional relationship' with the UK, it is not part of the UK, although the UK and Gibraltar are both British. Importantly Gibraltar is also not part oft the 'Common Travel Area' in the UK, Ireland, Channel islands and Isle of Man.

The problem with using the driving licence is that it is not a valid travel document. No country or government has put their name to it as authorisation to travel. You could be, for example, a person that has been required to surrender their travel documents and not leave the country, etc.etc, etc.

With regard to ID cards in the UK, who ever came up with Labours implementation plan for them must have designed it to kill the project. It was destined to set the tabloids against it. Had they called them Passport Photocards (for use in Europe only) or something like that, made them cheaper than passports (and suitable as proof-of-age cards, etc) and allow people to get them even more cheaply when applying for a driving licences, it could have been popular. But it is all off topic, the problem with a driving licence is it is not a travel document, it is not a question about the security of the document as proof of ID.

London
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need a passport to enter Gibraltar?

Thanks, I'll just have to get a passport then. The old "British Visitors Passports" were very good for Europe, and cheaper than a full passport. It's a pity they were phased out.