We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Tips for Getting Married in Gibraltar

Which Gibraltar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
My Tips for Getting Married in Gibraltar

My husband and I just got married at the registry office in Gib this week. Its a pretty intense thing getting married in a foreign country with so many variables so thought I would share our experience.

There are affidavits which need to be collected from the the registry office, completed, checked over by the registrar, signed by a notary and then returned to the registry office, all on the BUSINESS day before the ceremony or sooner. You're advised to be there by 10.30am. I would recommend being on the doorstep waiting when the doors open, as its a busy place with queues all the time. I requested a list of notaries from the registry office and contacted the nearest one ahead of time to confirm that they would be expecting us. We used Gomez & Co. The registrar mentioned they charge one of the highest fees at £20 per signature but they are just across the lane and a few doors down from the registry office.

I would also recommend double, triple and quadruple checking your date and time with the registry office. I found them difficult to communicate with by email, with slow or no responses, and various people becoming involved in the email chain. We were given conflicting info on the time for our ceremony, and I received no reply to my email requesting definitive confirmation before we left to travel to Gib. When we arrived at the office to complete our paperwork, we asked again about the the time and were told 11.30. On the morning of the wedding, we just had a bad feeling so my husband walked down to the office to check again. He was first told there were no ceremonies booked until 12, then was told we had to be there for 10.30, giving us both less than an hour to get ready, get down there and find witnesses. Just confirm everything and keep calling or emailing until you get a satisfactory response. They are actually nice people at the office..just busy I guess.

Witnesses weren't a problem, we asked a lovely Canadian couple who were arranging their own paperwork at the office who kindly agreed. This seems to be the way it's done. There are plenty of people milling around the office so just ask some who look nice! The photographer we used was Nicky Sanchez. Nicky was a lovely guy who luckily was very obliging with the time mix up. We felt very comfortable with Nicky and can highly recommend him.

The registrar was a lovely man who carefully explained the whole process before beginning to put us at ease. The ceremony was brief but lovely, just repeating after the registrar and following his direction. We stayed at the o'Callaghan Elliot Hotel which had lovely rooms and was handy to the office and the rest of the town centre.

We had no problems with getting over the border, but have heard stories of huge delays so I would recommend arriving in Gib ahead of time to reduce the risk. After a rocky start, we were really happy with our decision to get married in Gib.

81 replies to this topic
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: My Tips for Getting Married in Gibraltar

I will be in Gibraltar from 28/4/14 to 5/5/14 might nip and see you get married!!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: My Tips for Getting Married in Gibraltar

Kell, I'm sure all your 3 suggestions will be wonderful, however, my preference is the Dell at the Alameda Gardens, it is just beautiful.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: My Tips for Getting Married in Gibraltar

I got married in the Dell Alameda Botanic Gardens on 10th April 2014 at 12:00 noon it was absolutely amazing and everything I have ever dreamed of. It is so beautiful, the weather was perfect, the setting was fabulous and we all loved it very much. There was 18 of us in total and everything from start to finish was perfect!

We went to Biancas on the Marina at 3pm for our meal afterwards and I really cant fault anything they set the table up with a gorgeous flower centrepiece, linen tablecloth and napkins and the food was complimented by all of us aswell as the views over the Marina. I hired a fab Jaguar 1962 model from Tiger Luxury Cars which really looked the part parked outside the gardens. I had my makeup done by Debbie Goodman who is a lovely local lady who also works in the Main Street. I used a fab photographer called Mika.

I would highly recommend Gibraltar to visit, the Dell to get married and Biancas at the Marina to dine. There are plenty of other lovely restaurants around the Marina that I also visited and were very nice too.

KelH72

The Dell cost £200 to hire for our wedding

I recommend staying in Self Catering Apartments around the Marina either, Marina View, Ocean Village or Watergardens absolutely perfect!

England
Level Contributor
14 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: My Tips for Getting Married in Gibraltar

hi there

ive been waiting for a response from the gibraltar registry for over a week and a half. Please can I ask how much you had to pay for the notary? Thankyou.

sarah

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: My Tips for Getting Married in Gibraltar

How much was your wedding planner we are trying to keep cost low as it is not all about the bigger the better ,but they take away your worries and would be interested x

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: My Tips for Getting Married in Gibraltar

lovehatetragedy - Commissioner of Oaths is £20 from Solicitors a 1 minute walk from Registry office

kylenkory It is easy enough to organise it all yourself and a lot cheaper to be honest.

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: My Tips for Getting Married in Gibraltar

This sounds very interesting getting married in Gibraltar although British we live in Spain and am told by a solicitor that it is a lot of trouble getting married here in Spain so much paperwork involved and all the running around that you have to do some people give up through sheer frustrations of the system.

Is it very expensive to get married at the registery office in Gibraltar

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: My Tips for Getting Married in Gibraltar

I'd like to get married in Gibraltar and would rather organise it myself, rather than through a wedding planner, but a bit worried about witnesses as we would like to just go by ourselves. Is it difficult to organise witnesses?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: My Tips for Getting Married in Gibraltar

Peter J D this website will help you: https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/getting-married

Cattydcat: Our witnesses were our mothers, but I am sure I have heard of people making friends in Gibraltar and asking them to be their witnesses.

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: My Tips for Getting Married in Gibraltar

I'm getting married next Tuesday and don't have any witnesses. I cannot imagine that if worse comes to worse there is not a secretary or someone in the Registry Office who can sign as witnesses. Seems a bit pro-forma.

Reply to: My Tips for Getting Married in Gibraltar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted