We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 hours in Gibraltar

New Jersey
Level Contributor
41 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
2 hours in Gibraltar

Our flight on Jan 2 leaves GIB at 3 pm, and we expect to return our car at La Linea around 11 am. Check in opens 3 hours before, so if we drop off our bags around noon we will have between an hour and a half and two hours to sight see. We are a couple with a 2 year old. The official rock tour costs 150 pounds for 2 hours; are there any cheaper options? Can we just hire a taxi for 2 hours and how much will it cost?

Rock Ramblers
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Calypso Tours
Sightseeing Tours
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 hours in Gibraltar

I really don't think you'll have much time. If you check in at 12 you'll still have to be back at the airport at 2.15 at the very latest. Gibraltar traffic can be nasty. You won't be able to hire a taxi for less as the Rock Tours are done by taxis

Hmmm.....I think the only way to go up the Rock and see the sights/views would be to go on a Rock Tour. The taxi driver should have enough awareness of traffic and times to get you back to the airport on time.

Other than that, you could check in and then walk across the airport to the marina, have a drink/something to eat and then head back for your plane.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
41 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 hours in Gibraltar

Thanks. Looks like check in opens only 2 hours before departure. So the plan of checking in and going on a city tour won't work. Is there a luggage locker in the airport if we get in about 4 hours earlier?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 hours in Gibraltar

Not sure about a luggage locker but I really don't think there is one at the airport. I was there a couple of days ago but don't recall seeing any left luggage signs

If you do go on a Rock tour you could just put your luggage in the taxi, they use minivans so plenty of space for the three of you plus luggage, buggy etc. you could then be dropped off at the airport about 1.30pm for your 3pm flight. There are plenty of taxis for Rock tours by the border. Might be a nice way to end your holiday

New Jersey
Level Contributor
41 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 hours in Gibraltar

Thanks. Sounds like a plan. The official rock tour says its 150 pounds for upto 8 people for a minimum of 2 hours; let me see if I can negotiate the rate down to what people in these forums seem to have paid.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 hours in Gibraltar

Sounds good.... I would really bargain hard. Rock tours are always very busy in the summer months especially with all the cruise ships but tomorrow, January 2nd you should be able to get a good deal.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it :)

6. Re: 2 hours in Gibraltar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, January 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Gibraltar