We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gibraltar in December????

Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Gibraltar in December????

Im currently living in Granada and am planning a day trip by car to Gib on 13th Dec. Does anyone know what will be open? will there still be dolphin trips or is this just a summer activity? what will the temp be roughly like? i am planning to see hopefully the dolphins, monkeys, caves, siege tunnels, shopping in main street and lunch at the top of the cable car. does this sound too much/too little? any suggestions for a nice dinner, for about £30 - £40 for 2 people?

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gibraltar in December????

it can be a bit to rough for the dolphin trips which are few and far between you may find one.the weather can be a little chilly or overcast but you should be warm.

most other things are open and there are some lovely places to eat for about your price in casemates square

the cablecar and caves are all open.

watch out for the spanish border when going back into spain as they are pretty gruff and refuse to speak english and search for any alcohol and cigs and if you have to many will confiscate them or worse.

get to the border early in the morning as there is always a large queue to get in or go as a pedestrian and park outside.

hope all this helps

Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gibraltar in December????

thanks for the advice! I will be careful when going back into spain but i speak spanish so hopefully wont be too much of a problem!

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gibraltar in December????

It will help but i speak fluent spanish and they seemed to pick on spanish hire cars and enjoyed trying to intimidate tourists. it didnt work with us but there was an elderly couple and the lady was in tears i went to help but the guards told me to go away and and mind my own business so there was nothing I could do. They had nothing with them but the guards virtually took the car to bits and had all their luggage out on the road unpacked.

North West, England
Level Contributor
31 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gibraltar in December????

We havent been to Gib in December but were there two weeks ago and the temps were about mid 60's. Can be a bit windy along Main Street. We also visited Gib in November two years ago and had a lot of rain. A web site for dolphin trips is www.dolphinsafari.gi or email dolphin@gibnet.gi phone number from Spain is 9567 71914 but I suppose it does depend on the weather.

The cable car was working when we were there, however it can be quite windy around the Rock and therefore if it is quite strong then the cable car is not always in operation. Two years ago in November it wasnt. In this case you can get a taxi tour (like a mini bus that takes about 8 people), you can get these near Cathedral Square/Main Street or where we got it was at the Tragalgar Cemetary. The guy was great and you pay him which includes the caves, monkeys and the Siege tunnels etc. The monkeys seem to know the taxi drivers and gets them to pose on your shoulder should you wish, which I did'nt!

Regarding the guards at the Spanish border, yes they are a bit obnoxious. We walked over the border and they searched our bags but we also hired a car which had spanish number plates, they didnt search us then but stopped cars with Gib number plates and seatched them.

The Tunnel Restaurant on Casemates Square, is quite a nice meal and you do get quite a lot to eat, too much in fact for me. Probably about £8-£10 per head for a main course. You are also much better to pay in stirling, if you pay in euros you will get a really bad exchange rate which means you are paying a lot more. You can change money at the airport but you may not get a particularly good exchange. We changed some money for Euros in Main Street and got quite a good rate. If you are thinking of buying cameras or electrical things haggle with the shop keepers, we were looking for a digital camera and after haggling they came down in price by about £40. Shop around first. Parking is a problem in Gibraltar so many cars and not enough room for them all. There is however a multi storey car park (behind Casemates Square). As you cross the runway you get apartments on each side of the road, keep to the right there and you will see signs. I cant remember exactly how much it is something like 60pence an hour. But there maybe a day rate. As the other writer suggested you can park in LaLinea, you can park along the promenade there, think there may be parking meters, however if you go past the entrance to customs there are now some large car parks. We never had to wait longer than about 10 minutes this time to cross, but in the mornings there are the tour buses bringing lots of day trippers from Spain so I suppose that may be a busy time. You can get a bus from outside the airport for 60pence to the cable car. The bus is the No. 3 and you get off right outside the Queens hotel which overlooks the car park where the cable car is. Hope all this helps and you have a good time.

North West, England
Level Contributor
31 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gibraltar in December????

Just found another Dolphin Cruise company, cant find a web address but the phone number from Spain is 9567 50650. Its called Dolphin Adventure.

North West, England
Level Contributor
31 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gibraltar in December????

Its me again - lol, forgot to mention other restaurants. Along Casemates square next to the Tunnel are other restaurants, but there is also the Clipper, a bar/restaurant which is in Irish Town. To get to Irish town if you leave Casemates Square and head up Main Street, turn down one of the tiny streets on the right and this leads to Irish town, which is the name of the street. The Clipper has really nice meals at very good prices, main courses approximately £6 per head, lovely soups about £1.95. We have eaten there on a number of occasions.