We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A question of buses, beer & fish 'n' chips

Which Gibraltar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
A question of buses, beer & fish 'n' chips

Hi

I'm off to Gibraltar in June. Has anyone any experiences of the local public bus service they'd like to share - is it good, bad etc.?

Also, I know that beer in pubs & bars is expensive, but are there any places I can get a pint for £2 (2 GBP) or less? I can't understand why in a place where whisky and tobacco is so cheap in the shops, a pint of beer is so pricey.

Finally it's got to be done, fish & chips that is, any suggestions for best, or value for money?

cheers

Gloucester
Level Contributor
572 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A question of buses, beer & fish 'n' chips

Bus service is very good with several routes that cover most areas. they run at frequent intervals ie. 2/3/4 an hour depending on route and the timetable is displayed at the bus stops. A day pass for all services cost £1.50 in Summer 2006 or you can buy individual tickets at flat rate of 80p (ish). Google Gibraltar bus service and you should be able to find their site and download route maps which show all the stops. This is what i did before I went.

There is a very good English fish and chip shop in Casemates Square, on the right hand side as you enter the square from Main street and are facing the old buiding with arches ( mostly restaurtants) in front of you. It serves all the usual things you can get in England and the a lot of local fish as well, can highly recommend the rosada!

west lancs
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: A question of buses, beer & fish 'n' chips

Hi

Just read your forum I am off to Gib this weekend so if you like I will report back to you uopon my return, dont know much about the place myself!

London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A question of buses, beer & fish 'n' chips

Good to hear about the buses as I'm going with my elderly mother who doesn't like to walk too far.

I've been before - last Sept, but walked everywhere as I was on my own, also as budget was tight I lived on sub-of-the-day from the Subway in Casemates Sq. But this time mother wants fish & chips. Ta for the recommendation.

Any reports back will be most appreciated - thanks.

You can get a pint in the airport for £2 and I found a bar on the edge of town - The Hackney Carriage - where it was £2. Everywhere else was "£2.30 - £2.50, except for the bar at the Bristol Hotel where a 330ml bottle was 90p.

cheers

London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A question of buses, beer & fish 'n' chips

BUMP

Back again this June & now interested in 2009 beer prices and for new nominations for best F&C!

Cheers

Ntd

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A question of buses, beer & fish 'n' chips

There's a good fish and chips place in Casemates, next to La Barcina restaurant.....sorry but I can't actually remember the name.

You'll also get great fish in Marina Bay.....it's in the only restaurant that doesn't overlook the marina, it used to be a pub called Admiral Collingwood....again, can't remember the name even though I ate there over Christmas!They do fantastic fried fish and you could always order chips to go with it.Very reasonable too.

I can't help with beer prices I'm afraid......I'm more into G&T's;)

London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A question of buses, beer & fish 'n' chips

So long as we don't have to eat in "Roy's Cod Plaice", don't know what the foods like, but awful name!

Shared a table outside the Horseshoe Pub with an English family last time over from Spain for the day, they had F&C and it looked (& smelled) very good indeed....should have seen their faces though when they tried to pay in euros, luckily the girl serving suggested a trip to the ATM to get some "real" money out would reduce the bill substantially!!!

Cheers Ntd

Salamander Bay
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: A question of buses, beer & fish 'n' chips

Hi Notty

youre Mum will love the place I am over there Aug this year again with my daughter her first visit she's 47 and she is looking forwards for a pint and beer, taxi will do us have fun from ozzie/pomme

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
15 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A question of buses, beer & fish 'n' chips

I know 'Roy's Cod Plaice' isn't the best name, but their F&C are excellent. Mushy peas also available. Also, not on the menu, you can ask for sausage in batter and way to go!!

F&C v good in Gibraltar Arms in Main St - you can sit outside in the sun if you wish.

Amin's Office on the corner of Irish Town and Parliament Lane offers lovely F&C and plenty of other choices too.

As for beer...most places the rpices are the same, apart from the new Ocean Village set up where sadly prices are somewhat higher - but then you're really paying for the surroundings and views.

The place at Marina Bay is called the Village Inn and offers nice 'raciones' of fish. Chips are lovely too!

Hope that helps ;)

London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A question of buses, beer & fish 'n' chips

ta janeymac.....getting peckish already.

Don't mind beer being around £2.30 - £2.50 a pint as the increases here to well over £3 makes that sound pretty cheap.

Is it worth taking a few euro over to La Linea to seek out some cheap Spanish beer one evening?

Yes will probably try 6 penneth of chips in Roy's CP!

Cheers

Ntd

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
15 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A question of buses, beer & fish 'n' chips

I reckon beer is somewhere in that price range now...

As for La Linea, personally I love all the tapas bars and can recommend a few to you...I think the days of cheap beer are long gone in this area, but a few little tubos of Cruzcampo accompanied by some cheeky tapas is still a helluva way to spend a few hours!