We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Vigo

Which Vigo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bloomington...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions for Vigo

We only have three hours off our cruise ship in early May. From what I've read SdC too far. Any suggestions for what not to miss/do? Or great place for lunch? Thanks for your help.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,731 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Vigo

For three hours ashore is very little time.

It is yet to be confirmed but it seems there is a tourist bus that meets cruise ships, that is according to the tourist web site for Vigo.

In Vigo you could just wonder around the old quarter, which is small. As an alternative maybe do some shopping, the shopping area is large and you should find something of interest to purchase.

If you want to have a ‘lunch’ then that will take all/most of the 3 hours you have ashore, especially if you walk to the old part of the city.

Sorry cannot personally recommend anywhere to eat.

Note that may 1st and 17th are fiesta days. That will mean that things like museums and public transport will be on Sunday type working hours. Shops will be closed. Restaurants will be open but very busy.

Ian and Irene

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Vigo

Thank you Ian and Irene. Very helpful info. Wish we had longer there. Mary and Steve

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Vigo

I agree with Ian and Irene. On a cruise a couple of years ago we had 3 or 4 hours, and I enjoyed it more than some of the other well known places! We were on the Aurora which docked on the quay just 5-10 minutes walk to the town - great not to have to get a taxi to anywhere! The town is quaint with touristy shops etc and some lovely pavement cafes. Can't remember where we ate - one of the places in the old cobbled area. Lunch took a couple of hours, and it was lovely to just sit and watch the world go by!

Lonon, UK
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Vigo

Hello there, I know the city well have been visiting since a small child as its my mother's birthplace (but I live in London). Wander around the old town for traditional shops and if you follow signs for Bouzas you will find an area with nice restaurants, seafood and fish is a speciality but meat also very good in this area of Spain all very fresh and tasty. If you prefer to use the time for shopping head straight to the town centre its a shoppers paradise specially for leather goods, shoes and bags are very high quality at reasonable prices. I hope this helps Claire.

Vancouver
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Vigo

Hi, I will also be on a cruise and I get a bit more free time, about 8 hours, anything to suggested? The city close by, is it walking distance from the quay? My cruise ship offers exercusion to visit

1) La Toja,

2) Bayona La Real,

3) Pontevedra, Ria de vigo

4) Santiago de Compostela

Does anyone know if any of the above places worth to visit? or must NOT miss? Thanks for the valuable input in advance.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,731 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Vigo

The most interesting part of Vigo, the old quarter is within walking distance.

Obviously the do not miss is Santiago. The end of a pilgrim route for many centuries. Both Baiona and Pontevedra are nice quaint towns with, but we would assume that the tours includes more than just those two towns. La Toja is a thermal bath located on an island.

All the places listed are worth a visit, it just depends on your preference as to what you choose.

Ian and Irene

Pontevedra, Spain
Level Contributor
134 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for Vigo

Hello

You were speaking about a place to have lunch my personal suggestion is PIGMALION TAVERN they have fresh seafood & fish. The place is not very nice but the good thing is the good quality.

This restaurant is close to Cruises Harbour about 5-10 mn walking, it is in one street close to Montero Rios. Also they speak English..because i use to go with customers and no problem

My suggestin drink famous white wine Albariño Rioja

There is new mall inside of Cruises Harbour with a lot of shops for shopping, with a bridge that takes you to the old part. And take you directly to Oyster Street (you can have fresh oyster with famous white wine)

If you want to have a beer or acoffer in Montero Rios there is a lot of bars..at open air.

If you need anything else let me know

Vancouver
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for Vigo

What's the name of the city of the old quarter? Will there be sign or direction assisting tourist?

Ian, Irene and Sayanes, thanks for the useful information.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,731 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for Vigo

The old quarter is called Vigo. It is just the other side of the new central comercial (shopping mall).

Ian and Irene

10. Re: Suggestions for Vigo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, September 24, 2009