We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing for the Camino de Santiago

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
Save Topic
Packing for the Camino de Santiago

Is there a definitive 'how-to' guide for packing? Tips on what to bring, how to pack light, what you can leave behind (because you can get it if you need it along the way)? I travel all the time; however, never carried everything on my back for weeks! Want to be smart about it.....

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,074 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing for the Camino de Santiago

no there is not.

Please read the notes at the top right of this page How to approach the Camino de Santiago where to look for more information.

ireland
Level Contributor
976 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing for the Camino de Santiago

This is a site I like. I got loads of information, including packing lists, and there's a forum.

www.caminoadventures.com

Santiago de...
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing for the Camino de Santiago

Perhaps you can find inspiration at this website:

http://www.culturaltravelguide.com/toolkit

4. Re: Packing for the Camino de Santiago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:09 am, March 10, 2014
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,347 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing for the Camino de Santiago

AirPorto, you might want to read TripAdvisor's forum guidelines. Self-promotion is not allowed.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,858 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing for the Camino de Santiago

We are walking the Camino Frances in June - from Leon to Santiago.

I don't have an exhaustive packing list, but a pretty good idea of what I am taking.

For clothes:

Shoes: 1 pr boots, 1 pr sandals for evenings (adidas soccer sandals)

Bottoms: 1 pr hiking pants, 2 pr hiking shorts, 1 pr yoga pants for evenings

Tops: 2 tees, 1 sleeveless tee, 1 fleece, 1 overshirt with UV protection, 1 tank for evenings

Underclothes: 2 sports bras, a few pairs of undies, 3 pr hiking socks, 2 pr sports socks

Hats: 1 crushable wide-brimmed hat, 1 ball cap, 1 fleece stocking hat

For sleeping:

1 sleep sack, 1 down blanket, 1 pillow case

Light shorts and tee for sleeping

For showering:

Basic toiletries in a bag with a hook for in the shower, hair brush and clips, travel towel

Gear:

Small first-aid kit, small sewing kit (including safety pins), small hardware kit (leatherman knife, bit of duct tape, matches, etc.), poncho, hiking poles

Misc:

Travel docs, wallet, smart phone, Nook, chargers, small bag for valuables (passport, wallet, phone) to carry when not walking with my pack, water bottles, mesh bag for shopping trips, assortment of ziplock bags,

I think that is about it. My husband and I will be travelling together, so we will be able to share stuff like the 1st aid kid and hardware kit

Santiago de...
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing for the Camino de Santiago

A small torch is always useful.

Sunglasses, as well as any sun protection lotion are a must for summertime. Not many travelers know that the inland Galicia area can be one of the hottest areas of Spain!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,858 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing for the Camino de Santiago

Yes, sunblock and sunglasses! These are an integral part of my life - not having either would be like not bringing soap - LOL - but a lot of people don't think to bring them. I think that if you forget though, like most things, these could be bought along the way.

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing for the Camino de Santiago

Thank you! All very helpful. I also found a book: "Pilgrim Tips and Packing List" by S. Yates. Much to prepare! But, I am so excited. You know what's odd...and maybe you found this too...? As I have told my friends, all of whom are fun people (!), none of them thought of this as an exciting adventure. Guess I'll meet those kinds of people along 'The Way'! I will say my children think it's fantastic - but they are born travelers.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing for the Camino de Santiago

you will realise after a couples of hours walking that you've packed too much. Think really minimalistic. If you need something else you can buy it along the way. I remember my first camino when I arrived to santiago with a unused pair of smart trousers in my backpack just in case I was going to get out at night... Enjoy and Ultreia!