We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will my belongings be safe if I fall asleep on the bus?

Warren, Michigan...
4 posts
Save Topic
Will my belongings be safe if I fall asleep on the bus?

I'm thinking about taking the overnight bus from Santiago de Compostela to San Sebastien to save on a hotel room and so that I can sleep during the travel. My concern is that I'm worried that my belongings will be stolen while I'm asleep. Is this a real concern? Does the bus have any safety protocols to prevent theft?

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will my belongings be safe if I fall asleep on the bus?

"Does the bus have any safety protocols to prevent theft?"

No the baggage hold is opened when the bus is stopped.

Asturias
Level Contributor
346 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will my belongings be safe if I fall asleep on the bus?

"Will my belongings be safe if I fall asleep on the bus?"

Just the fact that you are asking this question ..... means that in your heart, you know what the answer is.

Bus travel here is safe but nothing in life comes with a 100% 'cast iron' Guarantee!

My advice ...... if you're worried ....... don't fall asleep :-)

Edited: 4:19 am, July 15, 2013
Santiago de...
Level Contributor
106 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will my belongings be safe if I fall asleep on the bus?

For 20 euros you can find rooms to sleep and all your belongings safe. To travel at night with belongings is a risk you run everywhere.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will my belongings be safe if I fall asleep on the bus?

in most buses, bags (big bags) go to the bags trunk under the bus, so you have no control over them. I would say they are pretty safe and I've never have had problems with my bags when travelling at night buses (and I've done quite a few Madrid-Seville buses), but of course it's never 100% garanteed.

5. Re: Will my belongings be safe if I fall asleep on the bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 24, 2014