We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time for the camino

Which Santiago de Compostela hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best time for the camino

I would like to do the whole Camino hiking next summer, my birthday is the end of August, I`d love to do it sometime around then, but is there a better time to do it... say a less touristy time or when the weather is good.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time for the camino

www.caminodesantiago.me/board/…

That site will have all the info you might need plus much advice.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time for the camino

I would recommend late September, early October, assuming that you are an experienced hiker and can deal with mountain weather in the

Pyrenees. August is the top vacation month in Europe and there will be throngs everywhere..

Edited: 11:04 am, April 21, 2013
South Africa
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best time for the camino

The end of August isn't too crowded. Most of the workers and students have gone back to work/college and it starts getting a little cooler in September. Late August/September is harvest time and the fig trees, chestnuts, apples, pears, quince - and the grapes - are all being harvested. Its a wonderful time for fruit and vegetables. The fields of wheat, corn and other cereals are golden and brown.

If you don't like the heat (coming from Canada:-)) you might prefer walking from mid-May when it is much cooler, everything is green, the spring flowers are spectacular and the large white and black European stork are on their nests on every church tower and steeple! I love both spring and autumn.

Christchurch, New...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: best time for the camino

Planning to walk from Sarria to Santiago starting 14th July this year. I have heard it is hot but walking early about 5am and stopping around noon would this be "bearable"? Is the walk crowded and would accommodation in hotels need to be booked prior to leaving? Any advice would be appreciated.

South Africa
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best time for the camino

Alison, I have walked that section in July and August and it can be cold! Galicia is often cold and wet throughout the year. The path is always busy from Sarria. If you are concerned about finding a bed it will give you peace of mind to reserve beds ahead - not necessarily in hotels - in private albergues and some Casa Rurals. Most of the little places like Barbaleo, Gonzar, Morgade etc have albergues with private rooms that can be booked head. If you are following the usual stages:

Sarria: Albergue International has dorms and private rooms

Portomarin: Albergue Ultreia has private rooms

Palas do Rei - you can book a bed at Buen Camino

Ribadiso - bunk beds at Los Caminantes

Arca - Albergue O Burgo - private and dorms

Santiago - treat yourself to a pilgrim room in the Hospederia San Martin Pinario. Right behind the cathedral, fabulous buffet breakfast included in the price €23

Good luck!!

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,664 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best time for the camino

Sorry but living in Galician I have to disagree with the statement that "Galicia is often cold and wet throughout the year."

Wine growing needs heat and a lot of sun. Galicia has numerous wine regions.

South Africa
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best time for the camino

You are right.

I should have said, "In my experience, Galicia has been mostly cold and wet each time I've visited there, be it May, June, July, August, September or October." That is not to say that you can't have really hot days - hot enough to cause fires in the surrounding forests. However, Galicia has, on average, about 140 days of rain a year, compared with Madrid 63, or Barcelona 55.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,664 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best time for the camino

You are comparing Galicia which is around 30,00O sq km with cities?

Maybe cold is subjective for us 30Deg is warm and for a South African it is not?

The fires are usually started by accident or on purpose. Here is a video one of the first this year. It was from a few days ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt6YJKty-Wg

So please everyone take a "visitors" advice and bring your winter woolies and rain gear wherever time of year you come.

Or watch this video shot a few days ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0LWm_r5V-8

South Africa
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best time for the camino

oops. Made a mistake here. I should have said Santiago de Compostela has 149 days of rain a year compared with the other cities.

South Africa
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: best time for the camino

This visitor will be back in Galicia next week for a month and she is praying for clear skies and dried out flooded paths! It's no fun walking through mud and slush. She will be bringing her ALTUS and gaiters just in case.