We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking El Camino end of May 2006

Which Santiago de Compostela hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Topic
Walking El Camino end of May 2006

Hi everyone:

I come to you for advise as I´ve been reading the forum posts for some time. I am planning to walk el Camino end of May/beginning of June this year and I would like to know how long (Kms) is the route if I start at Roncesvalles... also, is this the best route? I want to do it complete so I would like to know how long it takes... a month maybe? I have plenty of time.

I am from México and will be traveling alone, I´ve read there is no problem with that.

I would appreciate all the help I can get so that I can plan my trip and make some reservations for after the walk and so...

Thank you all, I'll be checking for any replies erveryday...

Mexican Traveler...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking El Camino end of May 2006

I hope I can point you in the right direction for your pilgrimage. You can begin your walk from dozens of locations along the various routes, including Roncesvalles. Most who travel through Roncesvalles begin in St. Jean Pied-de-Port in the Pays Basque, the French side of the old kingdom of Navarra. The monastery at Roncesvalles is the first stop after following the route into the Pyrenees.

The following web sites will provide you with a host of information on the pilgrims’ routes and what to expect. The Santiago site will allow you to register your walk.

www.caminosantiago.com/web_ingles/index.htm

http://www.santiago-compostela.net/

http://www.terre-basque.com/

One of the best sources of information on the Way of Saint James can be found in “The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago”, first published in 2000. You should be able to find a copy at Amazon.com.

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking El Camino end of May 2006

Dear Robert, thank you very much for your quick response. I have already ordered the book you suggested to Amazon, I expect to receive it shortly. Could you tell me how long it would take to walk the whole route?

That information is important for me to start planning my trip... I really appreciate your being so kind.

Mexican traveler

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking El Camino end of May 2006

There's no problem traveling alone. You'll come across others walking the same route.

Depending on where you start, St Jean Pied-de-Port, or Roncesvalles, it could take you at least 4 long weeks. It's quite a distance.

Roncesvalles to Pamplona - 50 Kms

Pamplona to Puente la Reina - 25 kms

Puente la Reina to Santiago - 735 kms

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking El Camino end of May 2006

Hello again Robert, so how many kms can we walk from day to day? Is it possible to walk the same kms everyday or do we have to walk some days 30 and other 35 or 40? and so on...

Are there places to stop and sleep all along the way or we haver to get to a town everytime to the place where you can sleep.

I know all this info must be in the book you suggested but I´m kind of eager to know... I think you understand the feeling. I hope I´m not causing a lot of trouble with my questions. Thanks a lot...

Mexican Traveler

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking El Camino end of May 2006

How many kms you can cover in one day depends on the terrain. The north coast has a lot of hills and valleys.

You will have to check both the web site and book to see where the pilgrims lodging are located. It all depends on which route you choose to follow.

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking El Camino end of May 2006

Hi Robert, I have received the book and it is great. According to the author, starting at St. Jean Pied de Port it would be between 30 and 32 stops considering he describes the road based on what you can cover in a day.

Do you think I should make reservations in advance in Santiago to play it safe? I would be getting there by June 26 more or less, is that a busy season in Spain?...

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Mexican Traveler...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking El Camino end of May 2006

Yes, you should book ahead as it starts to get busy in Santiago in the spring.

You shouldn’t need reservations at most of the official refuges along the way, but if you want to stay in any of the more upscale hotels, then you should plan on making reservations.

california
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking El Camino end of May 2006

Hi,

We are also planning our camino walk in May 20 to june 4, but we won't do the whole 500miles because of time constraint. The best book is by the confraternity of St. James in UK,very detailed info on the trail and refugios. You can order the camino frances book for 6 pounds. This route is the most famous,takes about 5 weeks. They have a website www.csj.org.uk Good luck,May be we'll see you on the trail.

Maria

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking El Camino end of May 2006

Hi María, thank you for your tips. Where are you going to start your Camino? I am planning to travel on the 22 of May from México to Madrid and probably will start walking on the 25th. at Roncesvalles...

Good luck to you too and Buen Camino...

by the way, do you speak Spanish? because of your name I thought you might be Hispanic...

I live in Monterrey, México.

Take care...

Hortensia...

california
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking El Camino end of May 2006

Hi Hortensia,

We will be travelling to Madrid on May 20,stay 2 nights there,take a train to Leon and stay overnight there.From Leon we take a bus either to the Monasterio de Samos or to Sarria and start our walk from there. We hope to get to Santiago by Sunday May 28, in time for the pilgrim's mass. I heard that they swing the butafumiero only on Sundays. It will be a sight to see.

We hope to walk the camino frances in stages,may be over 2-3 years.I will be walking

with my niece who is 26 years old and her 2 friends, about the same age.I am 50 years old from California. I speak a little Spanish.

Buen Camino

Maria