We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiver nights in Extremadura

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
188 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Fiver nights in Extremadura

Hi ya all,

My husband and I plan to travel by bus from Lisbon to Badajoz maybe via Evora in mid May.

From there we will have four more nights for Merida, Caceres .......

Do people suggest keep going North to Salamanca and then across to Sergovia or straight across to Toledo?

We hope to be able to get around by public bus instead of having to hire a car?

We will be ending up in Madrid.

We realise this area is a lot more remote and untouched and that is what seems appealing to us.

Would we be okay just arriving at each town and finding accommodation or would we be better off pre booking?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on this region compared to some other parts of Spain.

Many thanks for any advice

Nick

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,740 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiver nights in Extremadura

Nick:

Extremadura is a hidden gem that few tourists visit. I have been there twice and enjoyed it.

I would spend 2 nights in Merida, 2 in Caceres and one in Guadalupe to see the magnificent monastery there.

In Merida see the Museo Nacional de Arte Romano, the best archaeological museum in Spain.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g227871-c69037/Merida…

To go to Guadalupe by bus:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1082741-c178408/Guad…

Then you can go to Salamanca and then Madrid.

From Madrid you can do day trips to both Toledo and Segovia. You can read about these day trips in the top questions of the Madrid forum.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
188 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiver nights in Extremadura

Thanks Benny for your prompt reply and the useful information!

The five nights would include Badajoz and Salamanca if we go up that far. Would you suggest stopping a night in Badajoz or just keep going to Merida?

So if we didn't stop in Badajoz for the night and just did 2 nights each in Merida and Caceres, do you think its worth going all the way up to Salamanca on the bus for just one night or just go to Toledo for the one night before Madrid.

We only have four nights in Madrid so may not have time to do day trips.

karachi
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiver nights in Extremadura

The Alsa Bus service operates cross border tranfers from Lisboa (Portugal) to Badajoz/Merida (Spain) - and vice versa - almost effortlessy. I had undertaken this journey in reverse (Merida/Lisboa) during October 2013. No problems whatsoever. On line bookings are possible via http://www.movelia.es/en. A small booking fee is also involved over and above the ticket price, which kindly note. My suggestion for lodging in Merida would be at its fine paradore (Paradore de Merida) which delivers on all possible counts. Don't pay much heed to the slightly negative publicity the property garners. Quite a bit of the criticism levelled against it is unjustified. You could consider having dinner at the Rex Numitor. The menu de desgustacion is rather nice and the restaurant setting is elegant coupled with attentive service. Diversions to Caceres, Guadalupe and Trujillo are also possible by bus. Casa Don Fernando strategically located on the Plaza Mayor would be my choice of hotel for Caceres. For Trujillo I'd select the Izan Trujillo set at a ten minute walking distance from its Plaza Mayor. Please check out my recent posts on the TripAdvisor thread linked below for details:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g227852-i1769-k722…

Guadalupe is a wonderful little town. A pilgrimage to the blessed Madre Negra's abode (Real Monasterio de Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe) is an 'experience' near impossible to erase from both heart and soul. If interest so motivates consider an overnight stay at the absolutely stunning paradore. For an additional supplement of 15 euros per night I was upgraded to a room with a balcony. The early morning views of the monastery spires against the backdrop of the verdant Extremadurian terrain were simply breathtaking.

I'd recommend reserving hotel properties in advance via Booking.Com to ensure peace of mind - competitive deals as well! Conduct some research, chalk out a tentative itinerary and get started! The earlier you book the better.

The region is well connected by an efficient bus service so have no apprehensions on this count. I have utilised this mode of transport while connecting from Caceres to Guadalupe and Trujillo to Merida respectively. A private tranfer (sixty five euros - brilliant deal!) arranged by the Paradore de Guadalupe deposited me at the doorstep of my Trujillo hotel within two hours! Luxury - supreme comfort more like it - at affordable rates, with the bus service between the two points of travel, unavailable being a Sunday!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,409 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiver nights in Extremadura

Hey that's interesting !!

I have visited these places by car not bus and your original question was about going up to Salamanca before heading down to Madrid etc. In my view it would be great to linger longer in those Merida-Caceres-Trujillo towns before heading on the bus to Madrid. In Madrid you can do day trips if you want to Toledo and Segovia and other places. But I have no idea if there is a possibility of any bus running from Extremadura to Toledo and this is where you need some more researches ! Certainly you have fast buses from Trujillo to Madrid.

http://www.avanzabus.com/web/default.aspx

Bus operators in Spain are various and if you go to a busy bus station you may find several tickets desks for operators you have never heard of before. Going to Guadalupe is certainly a weekday trip or some taxi luxury it feels. But even then the midweek buses to Guadalupe may not be friendly times. But where there is a will there is a way !

The main road A-7 from Madrid to Merida passes Trujillo and it is used for the Madrid - Lisbon trucks and cars and buses. You may find that a bus from Trujillo to Tavalera de la Reina is good for connection to another bus to Toledo thus obviating the need to go into Madrid first.

Toledo page has bus destinations here and Tavalera is mentioned with times.

ayto-toledo.org/servicios/estacionbus/bus.asp

And quickly searching I found a bus company La Veloz now part of the growing SAMAR bus organization and you can for example take a bus from Guadalupe to Tavalera de la Reina ! (Occasionally)

http://samar.es/horarios

Don't try using buses on Sundays unless you have the schedule and it looks good and aim for weekdays as more chance of being happy.

Edited: 6:21 am, February 28, 2014
karachi
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiver nights in Extremadura

My apologies, Nick! I had somehow missed your second post before transmitting mine! The seasoned TA contributor Cadiz_lover gives sound advice with regard to allocating sufficient time for the Extremadurian part of your journey. Ideally I would have liked to recommend Coria and Plasencia as well. Adding further to Caceres, Guadalupe, Trujillo and Merida does not seem advisable however with limited time on hand. You could perhaps consider deferring the Salamanca option to some future point in time. The university town's lay out inspires leisurely travel and keeping it as a base, Ciudad Rodrigo and Zamora would both fall within easy reach. With rail / bus connections between Caceres and the capital city, Toledo fits in more conveniently as a daytrip from the latter point. The option to stay overnight would be yours of course. Just my two cents worth. Our dependable Benny, should soon be around with some further insight / guidance. Have a great trip and yes, happy planning!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
188 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiver nights in Extremadura

Thank you so much Cadiz_lover, BennyMalaga and dariuskakalia - you have given me so much excellent information! I have been following your posts for a while now - always so knowledgable.

I agree, I think we will spend our five nights in the Extremadura region and leave Salamanca out altogether.

Cadiz_lover I have been trying that bus site today

http://www.avanzabus.com/web/default.aspx

and also previously but I keep getting this - Introduzca un intervalo de fechas valido which I've translated to meaning enter the range of valid dates. I've been trying various dates in March just to see if I can purchase tickets but it always comes up with that description. Have you ever experienced this at all?

So, my next question is should we stop a night in Badajoz or keep going to Merida?

With four destinations and staying one night in each (if we don't stay a night in Badajoz) - Merida, Caceres, Trujilla and Guadalupe before heading directly to Madrid, where would you advise us to spend the second night?

We will have a Sunday in amongst those five nights so where best to spend the two nights to include the Sunday?

Would we be better of going Merida, Trujilla, Guadalupe and finish up in Caceres to catch a train directly to Madrid.

I hope this all makes sense!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,740 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fiver nights in Extremadura

kadn:

I would choose Merida, Trujillo, Guadalupe and Caceres before going to Madrid. Read the top questions in each of their forums for sights.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,409 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fiver nights in Extremadura

Have never stopped in Badajoz so cannot comment but with limited time then I think stay until Merida and spend some time here. The Roman remains are quite interesting. And research the city to decide on whether you wish to overnight here. Makes sense to stay over. Then up to Caceres maybe 2 nights. And on to Trujillo 1 night and so you can take the bus to Madrid or Tavalera from Trujillo. The direct buses to Madrid stop at Navalmoral de la Mata after about one hour then continue for another 2 hours.

Am still working out how to get to Guadalupe by bus easily. I do not think that there is an easy way. darius help ! I see that SAMAR Group has a bus operating to and from Guadalupe from Madrid and it stops at Tavalera de la Reina which is in the valley below Guadalupe. http://samar.es/

So maybe some change of transport could be good. The train from Caceres to Madrid stops at Talavera after 2 hours so perhaps perhaps you can take a bus from Guadalupe then take the train to Madrid. Rather than sit on the same bus for a long time. Or as I mentioned earlier take the bus from Tavalera to Toledo and visit Toledo before Madrid. This could be a smart way to accomplish this route.

The AVANZA bus web did work for me and try the English version. Maybe at certain times like in middle of early morning in Spain they make changes and it misbehaves.

www.avanzabus.com/web/default.aspx?lang=en

So much planning to do !

Tavalera was the scene of one of the important battles during the Napoleonic Wars in 1809. (The Peninsular War) when the British and Spanish were in arms against the French forces who had grand designs on Portugal after Spain. The long great river Tagus (or Tajo or Tejo) flows past Toledo and Tavalera on its way to give Lisbon its marvellous natural harbour by the way.

Edited: 5:32 am, March 01, 2014
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,409 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fiver nights in Extremadura

The bus company that does Trujillo to Guadalupe is MIRAT and web here

www.mirat-transportes.es/mirat/default.aspx

Looks like the bus starts at Caceres and 50 mins later calls at Trujillo the takes nearly 2 hours to get to Guadalupe.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
188 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fiver nights in Extremadura

Thanks Cadiz_lover for all your help.

So, I'm thinking one night Merida, two nights Caceres, one night Trujilla and one night Guadalupe.

Catch the bus from Gaudalupe to Talavera de la Reina - there's one leaving Gaudalupe at 8.55 arriving 11.15am.

I can't work out the site you gave me for the bus from Talavera de la Reina to Toledo. Are you able to tell if we would be able to catch a bus that same day to Toledo?

One night Toledo, then on to Madrid.

Many thanks

Get answers to your questions about Extremadura