We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sitges from 18th-25th september 2012

Which Sitges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cheltenham
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
sitges from 18th-25th september 2012

i have never been to Sitges in September..but already booked my flights.. :-)

is it a quiet time or medium busy? I went a couple of years ago for halloween..had a great time but very very quiet! cheers

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sitges from 18th-25th september 2012

It should be quite busy, still beach time.

By the way, if you can be interested on a different and amazing experience, your dates coincide with La Mercé festival in Barcelona (you can see some day activities on a daytryp or consider some overnight)

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sitges from 18th-25th september 2012

and with Santa Tecla....the "festa major petita" from Sitges!!

cheltenham
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sitges from 18th-25th september 2012

..i will definitely look that up in barcelona... i ilke a mixture of culture and quiet... so the holiday linking bcn and sitges sounds spot on.... thanks for your tip

cheltenham
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sitges from 18th-25th september 2012

just had a look at santa tecla on the web..i like the fact that its a small festival..looking forward to some spanish warmth..thanks for information 5de8..Martin

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sitges from 18th-25th september 2012

I can strongly recommend Sitges when you are going. Sure, it isn't as hot as July/August and the weather can be a bit unpredictable, but it is still very warm and plenty hot enough for sunbathing.

Sitges is still busy - all the bars and restaurants are open (they tend to close at the end of September).

The Santa Tecla festival is great fun. Call at the Tourism Office (now on the station forecourt) for a detailed list of events in English. You really have to see the processions, with Gigantes (very large dolls carried on a man's shoulders who dance....) and the fireworks in the processions. Just like manana has no exact English equivalent, I am sure 'Health and Safety' does not translate into Spanish! My only advice is that if you are going to watch, especially in the narrow streets down to the beach, do not wear your best clothes!

There are also human towers outside the pharmacy in the town centre, and a hair-raising human tower down the steps in front of the church.

At about 10pm on one of the evenings, there is a firework display on the beach. I believe a local firework factory donates the display as an exhibition for its latest fireworks. Very strongly recommended. I suggest viewing from the jetty opposite the Hotel Calipolis.

You may have gathered we enjoy it - we are going agin this year....

cheltenham
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sitges from 18th-25th september 2012

thanks roger,

sounds like its fun .....cheers for your tips! I am smiling at the thought of the week away now.

sun, sea, and fireworks..what more could a man want ! :-)

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sitges from 18th-25th september 2012

Sounds fun, I'm going back again (I went in May) and am there 18-25th too!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sitges
Level Contributor
834 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sitges from 18th-25th september 2012

Just to endorse all the above. Middle to late September is a great time for Sitges, and Santa Tecla is a great celebration. The fireworks are on the eve of the Feast Day ie. 22nd September and start at 11pm. The Castellers will do their 'walk' down the church steps early evening on 23rd. (usually about 6pm). It is a fabulous sight - especially if they succeed - as they did last year. The main procession will be later in the evening of 23rd.

Enjoy!

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sitges from 18th-25th september 2012

Can anyone recommend a website with details of the celebrations?

Edited: 5:53 pm, July 14, 2012
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sitges
Level Contributor
834 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sitges from 18th-25th september 2012

www.sitgestur.cat is the town 'offical' web site. It lists all that's going on in Sitges and more. Won't have fiesta details until nearer the time.