We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Transportation

Which Sitges hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
324 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Local Transportation

Using Stiges as a base, is it possible to do day trips to some nice villages by local transport/ we will not have a car. will be there 1st 2 wks of Sept.

Thank you

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Transportation

Barcelona is only 40 minutes away by train, and the trains are frequent, regular and cheap.

The other popular destination is Tarragona, which again can be reached easily from Sitges by train.

Otherwise, there may be tours into the Parc del Garraf, and to the wineries dotted around the area.

Sitges has an excellent tourist information centre right by the railway station, and the staff speak excellent English. It might be worth contacting them to find out what tours would be available during your stay, and also to find out about regular bus services.

You might find these links useful too:

sitges-tourist-guide.com/en/tours/sitges-exc…

sitges-tourist-guide.com/en/maps/map-of-sitg…

Enjoy your stay - Sitges is a wonderful town!

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
324 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Transportation

Wirewiper, thanks so much. Sitges intriques me because of its traditional village feel and the nice beaches. I would imagine that being so close to Barcelona we could also easily take a train from there to many other places.

I have enquired about sunbeds and umbrellas in this area. Can you confirm that they are available at most beaches?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Transportation

I'm not so well up on places the other side of Barcelona; usually I'm only in Sitges for a few days and enjoying just relaxing, so day trips aren't my priority.

I can confirm that most of the main beaches have sunbeds and umbrellas. Tip: the beaches close to town can be quite crowded, to find quieter beaches walk up towards the Terramar Hotel. It's a nice stroll anyway.

I'm sure you will have a great time in Sitges!

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Transportation

Yes Sunbeds and Umbrellas will be available during September.

"Maria" closed hers second week of October last year.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Transportation

Other easy possible side trips from Sitges:

- Vilanova i la Geltrú: next town. Just 5 minutes away by train. Less touristy than Sitges, more quiet and traditional but with a lively cultural scene, a lovely Medieval quarter, a couple of nice museums, great beaches and some of the best value restaurants in the area.

- by bus you can reach Vilafranca del Penedes, the 'wine capital' of the Penedes region with a beautiful Medieval quarter and an interesting wine museum. From there you can take a train to Sant Sadurni d'Anoia, the main Cava producer town with many wineries to visit.

- El Vendrell, a short train ride. If you are interested on Pau Casals, you can visit there his family house (very small but quite interesting as its a traditional Catalan house) and a museum dedicated to his music and intellectual legacy.

6. Re: Local Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, March 01, 2013