We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or bus from Sitges to Tarragona

UK
5 posts
Save Topic
Train or bus from Sitges to Tarragona

Can anyone please help me with the best way to Travel to Tarragona from Sitges using the trains or buses. I have looked on the RENFE website but it seems to indicate that there is only 1 train going to Tarragona from Sitges each day! Someone has mentioned to me that you have to travel to Sant Vincenc de Calders and pick up another train from there on to Tarragona. However when I look for this on the RENFE website I cannot get times or route from there! Alternatively is there a bus that travels regularly to Tarragona from Sitges.

We go to Sitges in early June and would appreciate a reply as soon as possible to enable us to plan out entire trip.

Thank you so much for any help you may be able to give us.

Mentioned in this post
Tarragona
Tarragona
Costa Dorada, Spain
Sitges
Sitges
Province of Barcelona, Spain
derby
Level Contributor
597 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or bus from Sitges to Tarragona

Like many people, you've been confused by the peculiar layout of the RENFE website, which only includes long distance trains on its front page, which is what you get if you ask for the English version.

You are right that you have to change at St Vincenc de Calders.

Go to http://www.renfe.es/productos/index.html

and you will find a list of different types of train.

Click on "productos media distancia", then choose Cataluna. This opens on a page with a group of services, the top one being BCN - Tarragona. Here you can put in St Vincenc to Tarragona to get lots of train times.

From Sitges to St Vincenc go back to the "products" page and click on "Cercanias". Choose Barcelona. Sitges to St Vincenc is line 2 and runs every half hour. It's 3 zones so will cost 1.95 each way.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona-El Prat Airport
Barcelona-El Prat Airport
El Prat de Llobregat, Spain
Tarragona
Tarragona
Costa Dorada, Spain
Sitges
Sitges
Barcelona
Barcelona
UK
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or bus from Sitges to Tarragona

Thanks Frankfrog. Most helpful. Have tried what you said and have found all the information that I now need. Top marks to you and thank you again.

I read that the 4th June is a holiday day there this year. Can you tell me if this will affect the train timetables or not?

Again, thanks a million for your help so far.

derby
Level Contributor
597 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or bus from Sitges to Tarragona

I've just looked back at the RENFE website.

Most of the trains from Sant Vincenc to Tarragona are marked "Diario" so should run every day including holidays.

The "Cercanias" service has a menu bar to pick the type of day, but trains from Sitges to Sant Vincenc still seem to run half-hourly if you click on "Domingos y Festivos".

However, I would check when you get there.

Also, if you want to visit somewhere special, you'd be wise to ask if it's going to be open on a holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Tarragona
Tarragona
Costa Dorada, Spain
Sitges
Sitges
UK
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or bus from Sitges to Tarragona

Again thanks Frankfrog, your advice is much appreciated.

I am beginning to understand the RENFE site a little better now and will do as you suggest and check when we arrive in Sitges if the trains are running to a Sunday/Festival timetable.

Again thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Sitges
Sitges
5. Re: Train or bus from Sitges to Tarragona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, September 01, 2009