We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montserrat - St. Joan funicular to Santa Cove hike

Which Montserrat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Utah
Level Contributor
73 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Montserrat - St. Joan funicular to Santa Cove hike

We are spending a Saturday at Montserrat the end of January. Which hike do we take from the St. Joan funicular to get to Santa Cova? How far is it? Is it difficult? Once we get to Santa Cova, do we take the other funicular back to the monestary? How far is the funicular from the cave?

Also, how should we dress? Thanks, this is a once in a lifetime experience and we'd like to make the best of our time there. Any other easy\moderate hikes you'd recommend there are also appreciated. I searched for a map of the hikes at Montserrat and found nothing online. THANKS!

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montserrat - St. Joan funicular to Santa Cove hike

hi,

there are some information in the web page of the monastery about the route...the way isn't difficult , and not very long:

todoaventuras.com/senderismo-en-montserrat-b…

but attention!! both funiculars are closed from january to febrery for annual revision!!

montserratvisita.com/Transports%20revisions/…

you can go to montserrat , and from the Monastery go on food to the Santa Cova or SanT Joan, and of course, you can go from Monastery to Sant Joan and then to Santa Cova on food (but it takes about 5 hours )

Utah
Level Contributor
73 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montserrat - St. Joan funicular to Santa Cove hike

Thank you. I emailed the Office of Tourism at Montserrat and they said the following:

Sant Joan Funicular will be closed for repairs from Jan. 7th to Feb. 26th. Instead, Santa Cova will be open as usual, both the funicular and the Holy Grotto. Of course you can also walk there instead of taking this funicular. It takes 30-40 min one way. Do not hesitate to come to the tourist information and get a hiking map.

Thank you very much for your interest.

If they are both, by chance closed, is the hike to Santa Cova from the monestary difficult?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Montserrat - St. Joan funicular to Santa Cove hike

the santa cova funicular actually does not save you that much of the hike, only the most steep part at the beginning. if you are reasonably fit you can do it on foot. we used to walk down and use the funicular only for the way up, back to the monastery. i've not do it for ages, but i was not especially fit last time (i never was)

regarding clothes, dress you in several layers of warm clothing, with a fleece and a rainproof windbreaker just in case. it will be quite cold, and it may be windy, foggy or rainy. of course good hiking boots.

another easier but quite scenic walk is the 'cami dels degotalls'

Edited: 10:51 am, January 04, 2010
barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montserrat - St. Joan funicular to Santa Cove hike

hi,

the way from the monastery to the Santa Cova is easy in my opinion, not big slopes or difficult sections..I did it some years ago, and I remembered that it was easy and the way is full of little majoriques and small chapels representing the road to Calvary. Montserrat is full of hiking ways if you are interested (some of them very difficult), but this is rather like a ride...

About clothes: it could be very cold without sun, as the other post said I suggested take different kinds of clothes and dresses as an onion, with layers...

Utah
Level Contributor
73 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montserrat - St. Joan funicular to Santa Cove hike

The tourist agency just emailed me back. Both funiculars to St. Joan and Santa Cova are closed during our visit the end of January.

6. Re: Montserrat - St. Joan funicular to Santa Cove hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 07, 2010