We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips and public transport

Which Girona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mostar, Bosnia and...
Level Contributor
484 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
day trips and public transport

We are planning to visit Girona in May and are exploring ideas for day trips. We would like to visit Cadaques and Camprodon but not sure if possible by bus or train.

Also would like to visit Besalu which I know can be done by bus. Is it possible to combine some other small village on the same trip by bus?

And a question about Figueres - apart from the Dali museum, is it a nice town to visit?

thanks

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips and public transport

hi,

you can check the web of TEISA (the buses) here:

http://www.teisa-bus.com/index.php?idm=en

For instance, They have the line betwen OLOT-GIRONA (which stops in Besalú):

www.teisa-bus.com/trajecte_interurbam.php

and the "bus transversal" betwen the villages of the county....

www.teisa-bus.com/trajecte_interurbam.php

Mostar, Bosnia and...
Level Contributor
484 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips and public transport

Thanks. It seems that Besalu is on the same way as Banyoles so we can combine those.

However I didn't manage to find a way to get to Camprodon and to Cadaques. Any help is much appreciated.

Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
589 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips and public transport

Banyoles and Besalu is a good day trip and, as you say, on the same route. Your best bet for Camprodon is to get to Olot and get a bus from there. The same bus service to Besalu from Girona actually finishes at Olot.

Cadaques is best reached by bus from Figueres, there are plenty of trains from Girona to Figueres, some high speed but the "low" speed doesn't take too long and that station in Figueres might be more convenient.

The only bit of Figueres worth visiting is the museum and the cafes and shops that surround it. Other than that, no, I personally would give the rest of the town a miss.

Other trips worth considering are to Pals and Begur.

Palafrugell, Spain
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips and public transport

As Darren said, Figueres centre immediately around the Dali Museum is OK and has bars and restaurants. The other lesser known attraction is the Castle of Sant Ferran which is a huge (3km around the walls) citadel-type fort/castle with sunken walls and views out to the coast and up to the mountains - it's an easy walk from the museum (Pujada del Castell).

Mostar, Bosnia and...
Level Contributor
484 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips and public transport

Thanks for your suggestions.

So, we can visit Cadaques via Figueres, stopping on the way to visit the Dali museum and surroundings, and continuing on to Cadaques (then back the same way I assume). Is it doable this way?

With regards to Camprodon via Olot, it seems quite a long trip by bus. Is it worth it? Maybe stopping also to visit Olot.

I have taken a look at pictures of Pals and Begur and seem quite lovely. Can these be visited together as a day trip by bus from Girona?

Thanks once again

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips and public transport

hi,

I think travel from Girona to Camprodon is a long way and with not many choose of bus, if you lost one of them you 'll have problems to return to Girona....

The Dali Museum in Figueres is awasone and if you want to visit some vilage inland you can choose Banyoles (the biggest lake in Catalonia) or Besalu or Olot ...

Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
589 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trips and public transport

There is a bus from Figueres to Cadaques leaving at 13.45 which takes an hour, arriving 14.45, the last bus back though is 18.15. That gives you just over 3 hours at this pretty coastal town. Enough to see it but probably not to make the most of it. Well worth a look though. There are plenty of trains from Girona to Figueres, could easily do Dali in the morning and Cadaques in the afternoon.

Camprodon on public transport is difficult so I would probably give that a miss, I wouldn't particularly recommend Olot either. The Banyoles/ Besalu day trip is a better idea.

I would be tempted instead to get a bus to Palafrugel, regular service from Girona, then a short taxi to the coast from there to Calella de Palafrugel and Llafranc (these are next to each other, can walk from one to the other over a pretty headland) and both worth a visit, particularly in May before they get too busy.

This is the same bus for going to Begur and Pals. Girona to Palafrugel then change bus to go onto Pals and Begur.

The bus timetables can be viewed at:

sarfa.com/paginas/interurbano_buscador.php

Mostar, Bosnia and...
Level Contributor
484 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trips and public transport

Thanks a lot for the detailed information. I will take your suggestions...sounds like we will enjoy Catalonia :)

9. Re: day trips and public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 15, 2015