We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona airport to Girona centre.

London, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona airport to Girona centre.

Hi, there's loads of travel advice on this forum on travel between Girona and Barcelona but I'm still not sure of the best way to get from Barcelona airport to Girona centre. Others see to use Girona airport to get to Barcelona but I'm doing it the other way round. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona airport to Girona centre.

Some sites

barcelona-girona-airport.com/Bus-from-Barcel…

barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/airport/trans…

For Spanish buses from main destinations you often have to buy the ticket before you get on the bus.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona airport to Girona centre.

Trains Barcelona airport to Barcelona Sants renfe.com/viajeros/…index.html

Trains Barcelona Sants to Girona www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

London, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona airport to Girona centre.

Thanks both.

Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
654 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona airport to Girona centre.

Definitely by train. The airport train station runs regularly to Barcelona. You then have a couple of options.

The quickest is to get off the airport train at Barcelona Sants Station then make for the high speed train (same station but different entrance). This then takes 38 mins to Girona and the train station at Girona is in the centre.

An alternative is to get off at Passeig De Gracia (or Sants but P de G is quieter and Girona train goes from same platform) where the slower trains can be caught for Girona. These are the MD (Media Distancia) (1 hour 15 mins) and Regional (1 hour 30 mins).

The choice will be dictated by price and what time you arrive in Barcelona. High speed is usually about 20 euros but can be higher if busy time whereas the MD and Regional are cheaper. You can pre-book the high speed and print your ticket off on the internet or print it at machines at the station.

All these are better than by bus. The bus station isn't as convenient to get to from the airport and most of them go to the Airport rather than the centre of Girona. The bus is also more cramped and not particularly any cheaper than the slower trains. I would only go this route if you are arriving in Barcelona late as the last train to Girona is about 9.30pm but there are later coaches.

An alternative you might also consider if there are a few of you (or you are arriving too late for last train) is to hire a car. I have done this a few times, pick up at Barca airport drop off at Girona train station, with Europcar/National for cheaper than the cost of the train. More convenient plus you get the car until the next morning if you want to explore a little. Most of the trip is motorways/dual carriageways. There are tolls and petrol to factor into the cost but at quieter times of the year I have been able to get a car for circa 20/25 euros. If 4 of you would work out as the cheapest travel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona airport to Girona centre.

Thanks for such an informative reply. There will only be me as I am flying from the SE and the rest of the party are flying from bristol. Not complicated, but also not very interesting, a christening that I must attend and a son home from Singapore. I arrive in barcelona at 1 p.m. ish..... So will go into Barcelona nod probably catch the fast train.

Thanks

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,511 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona airport to Girona centre.

You could always cut out the airport and the flight and just travel London-Paris on the 09:17 Eurostar from £39, Paris-Girona by the 14:07 TGV Duplex from £53, www.loco2.com.

As of Sunday, 200 mph double-decker TGVs started to run direct from Paris to Figueres, Girona & Barcelona.

I came back from Barcelona to London yesterday on the 09:20 TGV to Paris & 18:13 Eurostar back to Blighty. A nice run! Spanish TV news crews all over Barcelona sants station and on board the train!

Edited: 3:28 pm, December 17, 2013
Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
654 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelona airport to Girona centre.

Unfortunately the next high speed train (HST) after 1 is currently after 4. You are probably better making for Passeig de Gracia and getting the MD at 2.20, which will get you in just before 4. A bit cheaper than the high speed and no need to hang around. You won't need to pre-book the MD.

If though you miss this then no point catching the later MD's and Regionals as they will only get in later than the HST. Grab a coffee at Sants instead (albeit not great!).

London, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelona airport to Girona centre.

Thanks Man in Seat 61. Our preferred option is always the train and we travelled to Paris via Eurostar yesterday for a pre Christmas trip. My flight to Barcelona was a bargain that fits in with other plans, so the train is not possible this time....perhaps next time.

Thanks Darren. Will take your advice. I'll be travelling light so hanging round in Barcelona sounds good.

London, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelona airport to Girona centre.

Thanks all, I bought a T10 ticket which covered my train travel to and from the airport and then caught a train from passeig de Graca to Girona. I joined friends for 5 great days in Girona, seeing in the New Year with grapes and Cava in front of the beautiful Cathedral. We ate well at restaurants including Le Bistrot and Txalaka and enjoyed the light in the narrow old town streets. We also had a day trip to Barcelona, using the T10 ticket for transport and then I returned yesterday with a very easy journey to the airport.

Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
654 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelona airport to Girona centre.

Really pleased to hear you enjoyed your trip. Happy new year / bon any.