We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar at Girona Airport

Which Girona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Goldcar at Girona Airport

I am looking at car hire at Girona Airport for next summer. We need to drive from Spain into France, returning the car back to Girona Airport again. Saw an old thread about Goldcar. On looking at their website it seems to read well and the prices look ok. Has anyone had a recent experience of Goldcar? I have found on their FAQ page that they do allow you to drive from Spain to France (Yes!) but will ask you to take out a policy to cover this. Has anyone done this and if so, can I ask how much it cost you?

Thank you.

K

Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
582 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goldcar at Girona Airport

My experience is not recent but I used them regularly 4 years ago and they were excellent. Usually have to wait at puck up desk in airport as them and Hertz seem to be the most popular.

There was a cross border insurance charge which was 8 euros per day at that time but might have gone up since then. Give them a call I am sure they will clarity and the clerks at Girona airport speak good English (and will give you a better price than on Web if you push them)

Berkhamsted
Level Contributor
26 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goldcar at Girona Airport

you might want to read this

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php…

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goldcar at Girona Airport

Oh dear! Maybe not so good after all then. I have just read some more reviews and they seem to say the same as the link you sent me to. So, back to (maybe) seeing if Hertz have improved.

Thanks for all the advice.

K

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goldcar at Girona Airport

We hired a Goldcar from Girona airport to go to Andorra. That cost us an extra €50 at the airport even though we had made this clear at the time of booking.

We thought this was a one off bade experience so tried them again heading for LLoret. The other thing that I hate about them is the way they charge you for a full tank of fuel at pick up. Having refilled the same kind of car ourselves the cost was way above what it should have been. Added to that, we did not use all of the fuel as we only made short journeys. However, there is no refund for fuel in the tank on return so they charge the next renter above the odds even when half the fuel was already there. What a con. The low rental price on comparison websites is far from genuine and you WILL end up paying much more. They seem to be very inventive about ways of extracting more money . . .

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goldcar at Girona Airport

We are going to forget about Goldcar and think about Holiday Autos. If they can make up their minds if we can take the car over the border to France or not. If not then it could be back to Hertz again. They are not great but better the devil you know I guess. Maybe Avis?!

Regards

K

Bath, England
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goldcar at Girona Airport

See my posting of today.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goldcar at Girona Airport

I've just read your post and it seems very clear that they are a company to stay clear of. I will now also avoid "Do you Spain" company.

Thanks

K

Swieqi, Malta
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goldcar at Girona Airport

We were ripped off too. On their website they say @Cheap car hire in Spain with GOLDCAR from 9 £/day. We're the Number 1 in the cheap car hire in Spain, Alicante, Majorca, Malaga and airport car hire". I sent them an e-mail and received a very good quote and decided to go ahead. When we arrived to the airport the actual cost turned to be triple as they have a lot of hidden costs and charge a full fuel tank which we did not manage to use as we only came for 4 days. We did not feel like arguing as we were with family and were tired after an early morning flight. The car was clean and brand new but I will never use their service again.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goldcar at Girona Airport

Thank you all for Your feedback. I will not be using the services of this company in next week :)

Edited: 4:00 am, October 28, 2013
London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Goldcar at Girona Airport

I hate being ripped-off or duped, even if it's a tiny amount. Therefore Goldcar really annoyed me this week when they charged me extra for an "upgrade" I had not booked and charged me in GBP rather than Euros without giving me the choice (2% exchange rate fee). I did not see any of this before paying as I was just handed an electronic signature pad before being shown the invoice. I normally avoid Goldcar as their fuel policy is full-to-empty which is a rip-off but this year they say they will refund the cost of unused fuel upon return for rentals of three days or less. I discovered that they actually charge you 21Euros to top-up the tank, so even though I returned thcar with 45E worth of fuel left I only got 24E back. The car was also dirty, smelt of tobacco smoke and had no water in the washers. I have complained via the customer services section of their website but their responses have been vague and unhelpful. I will be using Europcar again in future- their prices seem much higher but without the extras (ie 9 Euros a day to go into France) they would have actually been cheaper overall for my trip.

Edited: 11:13 am, January 31, 2014