We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day in Palamos, Pals or Girona

Which Girona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
day in Palamos, Pals or Girona

Hi we are on a cruise in May and will be docking in Palamos for a day on 31th May 06. Can anyone suggest what sights to see and do around the area as we do not want to go on an organised ships tour. We have spent numerous holidays in Barcelona and like the area. We have heard Pals and Gerona is nice. Are they far and how would we get there? Any advice on local trips would be welcome. Thanks in advance

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
149 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day in Palamos, Pals or Girona

Don't spend your day in Palamos, I think it's quite tacky compared to other places on the Northern Costa Brava (Baix d'Emporda). Pals is lovely but you couldn't spend a day there, maybe a couple of hours. I would combine it with Calella de Palafrugell on the coast and Peretallada, another medieval town inland. However, having said all that and having only one day in this part of Catalunya, I would say Girona is a must see - a gorgeous and very classy small city. I'm afraid I can't help with transport though as we have always had a hire car when we have visited the area.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day in Palamos, Pals or Girona

Thanks Mon32. Girona sounds good. Does anyone know the best way to get from Palamos to Girona? We will spend the day there and there will be 6 of us

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
149 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day in Palamos, Pals or Girona

Jono B, although I've never used public in Catalunya before, I have noticed the local buses over the years. The company is Sarfa and I've just had a look at their website (which has a version in English) Address is www.sarfa.es Hope this helps.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,309 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day in Palamos, Pals or Girona

For a day, definitely Girona! Pals is pretty but you can see it in an hour (unless you go in every single shop) and as said you really need a car to explore the area easily. Bus straight to Girona sounds best bet.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day in Palamos, Pals or Girona

Thanks for all your help,but - the weather was that bad as we travelled overnight to Palamos that the captain decide it was unsuitable to dock in such a small port that he continued on to Barcelona. So we had an enjoyable day there instead. Once again thanks and I will keep the info for future reference