We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals Girona Airport

Which Girona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Car Rentals Girona Airport

Just had rental car for 5 day mini trip at Girona Airport. Dismayed to see the 'return tank empty' policy now prevalent with most companies. Have been visiting the region for 15 years and seen Girona airport transformed - used to be met by a girl with a clipboard and were led to your vehicle parked out front. All so simple. Auriga Crown were good when they arrived on the scene but last week I rejected the original KIA as being outrageously dirty - luckily I also discovered the broken CD player before driving off. Returned to desk and complained long and loud about state of vehicle and return fuel tank empty policy. Doing this in front of a line of customer traffic is always a good strategy. Staff unhelpful, told me he had 4,000 vehicles but 'no replacement available.' I pointed out with derision it was May 1st and if that were the case by high season his company would be in deep trouble. Within 15 mins a Seat Ibiza 'materialised.' It was parked next to my original KIA all the time! I told Auriga Crown the fuel policy is 'licensed larceny' and I will never use them again. I urge other customers to boycott this practice wherever they find it.

Rental firms have clients over a barrel. I'm still battling Europcar 4 years on (same location) for unwarranted fuel surcharge deduction on CC. I looked in vain for any rep to check over my returned car last week as I noted the Ibiza had sustained few scratches/damage prior to my pick up. Nobody around! That company now have my CC details and a blank cheque rental agreement to hit me for damage charges if they feel so inclined - all the poor sap of a customer can do is to start a lengthy process of redress from afar should someone attempt to take you for a ride. Be vigilant, European rental companies big and small will look to cheat you. US system of checking cars back in is so much better.

84 replies to this topic
London, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car Rentals Girona Airport

I just booked 1 week car rental through the site recommended above www.auto-europe.co.uk. In the terms and conditions the fuel policy was the same (charged for full tank, typically 85euros, deliver empty). However, the car was still far cheaper than those crooks at Auriga Crown.

Auriga crown wanted to charge me 84 euros just for 2 booster seats for a week. 2 x booster seats with auto- were 56uros, which while still pricey, is better and the car was cheaper anyway. Auriga also wanted an extra 40 euros for a second driver, which wasn't the case with auto-europe.

If you can't book direct with Hertz to see if the fuel option can be changed, at present it seems auto-europe is best bet available.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car Rentals Girona Airport

We have just booked a car through Rentalcars & I asked for a full/full tank, got it and it's on the documentation!

Have used Rentalcars before and any problems have been sorted out - will report problems if there are any!!

Doncaster
Level Contributor
109 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car Rentals Girona Airport

From the tip above, I've looked at Bravo car hire, and see SOL-MAR are offering Full-Full for a surcharge, which seems reasonable enough.

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Car Rentals Girona Airport

I've uses Sol-Mar from way back at Gerona and they were always competitive on price and good to deal with. Believe me consumers - rental companies who stick by the FAIR system of full tank on collection and full tank on return will CLEAN UP on rental business at Gerona. If this is Sol-Mar policy I'll rent with them on every trip. Please keep us all informed by posting your experiences.

Dursley, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car Rentals Girona Airport

Spent ages researching this for a 4 day trip this w.end

Ended up going thru Do you Spain - booked a Smart car (just for the fun of it) with Full/full fuel policy. Note that out of main season prices go Down the closer you get so get a quote then # it out just before you go - that way your covered but if the price drops (as it did for me from 75 > 60 Euros) then your in! :)

http://www.doyouspain.com/index_opt_pop3.htm

Dursley, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car Rentals Girona Airport

as a thought - if you want to extend your time without paying an extra day you could take the shuttle from the Airport to town spend 1/2 day wandering the sites 'n then take the shuttle back to the airport for your car.. espec at weekends there's a 54euro premium for out of hours collection which there isn't at the airport - hope this helps..

Liverpool, United...
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Car Rentals Girona Airport

We have been renting around 6 times a year for the past 7 years and have found that no single company is consistently cheaper than the others.

Atesa National is Full-Full, but their standard rates are higher than some of the others

Solmar charge a surcharge (about 15 euros as I recall) for full to full that they don't charge for full to empty. It's a downright cheek,, but I suppose at least they're honest about being dishonest.

I'm seriously considering draining the tank into jerrycans for our next visit before the return trip, and filling with only what I need to get back to the airport, carrying a bottle full just in case. They might eventually get sick of the cost changing fouled injectors and revert to full-full.

We get our own annual "Super CDW" insurance for around £50 and that saves us a packet, but the driving in France and additional driver cover still doubles the basic price.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Car Rentals Girona Airport

Concerning doyouspain.com I would prefer stay out of them.

When you read the small print:

Payment "online":

#1 - "refueling service charge" 27EUR+VAT - how much is VAT in Spain?

#2 - "Diesel Supplement: 15eur +IVA" - have no idea what IVA is, wrong with diesel?

#3 - "Out of hours: 47.40eur +IVA (please consult)." - no clear info what are those hours, unclear if that is already included in rental price

#4 "Security deposit: 150eur + rental price + 5% (if you take the COB PLUS insurance), 500eur + rental price + 5% (if you prefer not to take the COB PLUS)." - how about leaving 500eur there?

Payment on arrival seems to be less strict, but price doubles(!). The only plus side is that you can have half tank fuel for <=3 day hire.

Small print still not clear about the costs:

#1 - "The fuel price (including the refueling service charge)" - so there is some charge, how much is it?

#2 - "Late Collections/returns: 30eur + VAT (22:00h - 08:00h)." - at least they tell you their working hours, stupid VAT again.

#3 - there is no deposit info.

Edited: 4:03 am, April 24, 2013
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Car Rentals Girona Airport

blimey reading that i am now well up the chute!!

We are due into Girona next week for 7 nights and taking in the gran prix. We are staying in tossa de Mar and thought it'd be easier to hire a car to get to and from the track , over the weekend period rather than bus then train combo!! Then potter about the coastal regions on other days

What to do conundrum ?

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Car Rentals Girona Airport

It is a pity the rental car organised scammers leave people with second thoughts about travelling to new destinations. This is especially damaging to austerity driven countries like Spain who rely so much on tourism. I love the country, the food and the people - but it is galling to know my trip will start with unpleasantness at the airport rental desks! Really is time for the EU to intervene with the rental car robbers.

Good luck with your experiences during Grand Prix week, everyone will be inflating prices ahead of your arrival. It is not always an ideal solution, but local bus companies are actually modern, reliable, very cheap and run to timetables. Sarfa is the region's biggest and they have a website in English. For point A to B transport with a little planning you may be in a position to cut back on the rental car duration.

Reply to: Car Rentals Girona Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted