We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days for Barcelona and Madrid

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
6 days for Barcelona and Madrid

Hi, we are family of 5 arriving early in the morning to Barcelona on 7 July and leaving early on13 July. I need some help and suggestion how to divide it between two cities to be able to see as much as possible in Barcelona and Madrid. From forums I have gathered best way to travel is by train between yep cities so we will follow that. Any ideas re accommodations for families . Thank you

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
545 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days for Barcelona and Madrid

Hello! You can divide 3 days and 3 days, even if in July maybe you are interested to spend some time on the beach and in this case, you can spend more time in Barcelona. You can do it by train, bus or plane.

The bus option is the cheapest if you book last moment but also the less comfortable. Plane is fast and low cost also cheap. Train is comfortable and fast but not so cheap especially last moment.

Madrid probably will be very hot!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days for Barcelona and Madrid

July is just around the corner and you have a lot of fast planning to do. You haven't told us much about your interests, budget or age of the family group.

The cheapest and fastest way for you to get to Madrid is probably to buy 4 Mesa tickets + 1 P=promotion ticket.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,602 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days for Barcelona and Madrid

In terms of dividing time, try to be in Barcelona on Saturday 12th before early evening. There's a rather good castells event in Placa d'Osca near Sants Station that I'm sure would interest your family. Some nice places to eat in the area too.

Assuming that your children aren't all under 3 then the castells might be the thing they remember from their visit to Barcelona.

http://www.cccc.cat/continguts/juliol-51

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days for Barcelona and Madrid

Thank you . We are in early 40s and kids are 20, 15 and 7. And we would like to visit firstly historical sites and then museums , and etc. tomorrow will try to book train tickets.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,602 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days for Barcelona and Madrid

Castells have over 200 years of history and will help you connect with local culture in a way museums seldom do.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days for Barcelona and Madrid

Thank you ,Pandachris2! We will definitely go for castells and will be on 12 .7.14 in Barcelona.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,602 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 days for Barcelona and Madrid

Click the link "Com arribar-hi" on the calendar entry for "Actuació a Sants (Barcelona) ". It's a few minutes walk from Sants railway station. I'd look to approach down Carrer de Riego, which is reached by descending some steps just past the AC Hotel Sants on Passeig de Sant Antoni.

If you are keen photographers, then definitely try to arrive early. The Parc Industrial next to the station is not without interest but more importantly you might see the castellers preparing by putting on their faixas (long sashes that are used for lower back support and for the people who ascend to the higher levels to use as hand and foot holds. It might be worth looking at the Wikipedia page on Castellers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castell to understand a bit about the terminology. The Sants team in particular are one of the strongest and will probably do a couple of difficult castells.

I've no idea how popular this will be. The square is a decent size. I've sat there on a number of occasions enjoying a coffee or a Vichy Catalan outside one of the cafes. It's rather pleasant and untouristy. I haven't seen castells there though.

BTW - make sure that you have hats, drinks, sun-screen etc. I would think that by 18:00 there will be plenty of shade in the square but you would not want to be caught unprepared. The event can go on for several hours and some people find themselves captivated and reluctant to leave. I would imagine that there will be at least 3 castells built by each team along with possibly some pilars (elegant structures with only one person per level above either level one or two) at the beginning or the end. I would also recommend trying to get quite close, so your younger children can understand the sorts of people who participate (some younger than them) and on the off chance that the older ones might be invited to join in, on the lower level, should they be interested. Quite a story to tell their friends when they get home but there would never be any compulsion.

Finally, Castellers de Vilafranca, one of the leading teams, did several impressive structures at the Spanish Grand Prix yesterday. I've seen some impressive Twitter photos but haven't yet had the chance to look at the youtube videos yet.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 days for Barcelona and Madrid

Thank you Pandachris2 for such a detailed info ! We are all excited to start our holidays soon!

9. Re: 6 days for Barcelona and Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 14, 2015