We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better Day to Visit these Sites

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Better Day to Visit these Sites

We will arrive in Barcelona mid-afternoon on a Thursday and then have 5 full days in Barcelona from Friday to Tuesday, departing on Wednesday.

Our plan is to visit Parc Guell , Hospital de Sant Pau (this one - http://www.santpaubarcelona.org/en ) and Sagrada Familia on one of our days.

I’m considering visiting these sites on the Sunday. Hospital de San Pau is only open until mid afternoon on Sunday so we’d visit Park Guell first thing in the morning, then Hospital San Pau and then after a lunch break visit Sagrada Familia in the afternoon. Is Sunday a good day for this or will these sites be more crowded on the weekend? I'm leaning towards the Sunday because some of the other things we'd like would be better ondays other than Sunday, while these sites all have good times on the Sunday. We could visit these sites though on almost any other day of our visit (Sat, Mon, or Tue) if that might be a little better.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,102 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better Day to Visit these Sites

Hola Deb,

Just my 2 cents but I would avoid these places on Sunday. I have friends who live and work outside of Barcelona. When they come into town, it's always during the weekends. One of them visited Casa Batllo for the first time - only a few years ago! Up on Montserrat, there are lots of tourists on weekends. Many of them speak Spanish, Catalan and other European languages (not English). Barcelona is a tourist magnet for both visitors from far away and those who live just down the road. :-)

PS. That's why museums often have free days on Sundays. It's not done for visitors like you and me. It's done for locals who work during the week.

Edited: 8:42 pm, May 06, 2014
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,421 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Better Day to Visit these Sites

Indeed... Gigis_mum... Sundays should be banned (for everyone else but us locals that is!) And when I mean locals I mean real locals, visitors from neighbouring counties should also be banned. LOL!

Edited: 9:05 pm, May 06, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,102 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better Day to Visit these Sites

ha ha. I usually try to 'self-impose' a ban and avoid Sundays in Barcelona. But you know me, I do it mostly becuz my favourite restaurants are closed on Sundays.

Sunday is a good day to people-watch down at Barceloneta (I wonder what the Elephant Man is up to these days...). Eat a big late lunch at Kaiku. Hang out in Barri Gotic. Go sailing. See if there are any castellers around. Check out the giant head at the Museu Barbier-Mueller d'Art Precolombí (I still haven't been inside). Walk around the Monestir of Pedralbes, locate the very minor Gaudi sights like Finca Guell tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g187497-d1192… Look at all the residential buildings and imagine living in Barcelona.

Go for an English guided tour of Torre Bellesguard! Imagine living there! Check out the bridge across the street which was Gaudi's prototype for the retaining wall at Park Guell (known as the Laundry Room Portico).

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better Day to Visit these Sites

Thanks to you both! The feedback on this and my question on Gracia in another post is really helping to plan what NOT to do on our Sunday. Hmmm... maybe Sunday will turn into a self guided cava tour day - next step - confirm the hours of Freixenet and the others on my list.

Thanks again!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,421 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Better Day to Visit these Sites

Not a bad idea Deb, not a bad idea... couple that with some of Gigis' latest suggestions and you have it.

USA
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better Day to Visit these Sites

Be aware: most museums closed on Mondays.

7. Re: Better Day to Visit these Sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:10 pm, May 07, 2014
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Better Day to Visit these Sites

Yes, I have my list of those too!

9. Re: Better Day to Visit these Sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 09, 2015