We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 questions, My first trip to Spain...

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
2 questions, My first trip to Spain...

A. I would like to rent an apartment in a safe area near dining options, easy access to attractions, and possibly a metro. Which area do you recommend? I am a bit confused?

B. I asked in the other forum too, but I want to double check myself. Does this itinerary look right?

Beginning of June - Fly into Madrid, Take a Seville to Barcelona flight, leave from Barcelona:

4.75 days Madrid (day trip - Toledo), 4 days Seville (extra time - day trip to Ronda or Cordoba), 5.75 days Barcelona (Barcelona only - unless we have time for a day trip).

Any help would be appreciated...

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Toledo
Toledo
Province of Toledo, Spain
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Cordoba
Cordoba
Province of Cordoba, Spain
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,296 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 questions, My first trip to Spain...

A. Tourist Barcelona is very compact and the public transportation system is great. Since you are arriving in Bcn from another Spanish city and flying home to the US, staying near Plaça Catalunya would allow you easy access by Aerobus (approx 6€ 1-way). If you buy in advance for midwk travel, Vueling offers very attractive fares from Seville to Bcn. Another option is to take the high-speed train. Pls read the Top Question about Renfe.

If you prefer to stay in an area with more ambiance and don't mind spending a little more time/money on the transfer, consider El Born (in the Old City) for a Gothic feel or Passeig de Gracia/Rambla de Catalunya (in l'Eixample) for a Modernist feel. The Top Question - How do I find a rental apartment? - contains rental tips and a short list of agencies often mentioned on this forum.

B. Your itinerary looks feasible. Wish you could include Granada (to see the Alhambra).

Mentioned in this post
The Alhambra
The Alhambra
33,193 Reviews
Granada, Spain
Hotel Catalunya
Hotel Catalunya
451 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Passeig de Gracia
Passeig de Gracia
11,816 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Rambla de Catalunya
Rambla de Catalunya
891 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
El Born
El Born
3,501 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Aerobus
Aerobus
12,600 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Barcelona-El Prat Airport
Barcelona-El Prat Airport
El Prat de Llobregat, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,440 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 questions, My first trip to Spain...

Hola,

Since this question gets asked a lot... this is my sort of standard response ;)

For a visual response to your question: http://oi44.tinypic.com/20r5nd3.jpg Note that the red zones don't mean "no stay", they just mean (to me) that are not convenient for a short stay in the city, either too far or too rowdy or a bit seedy, but by all means one has to visit them as all have their own charm. Keep in mind though that this is a very personal response, other members will surely recommend different things and probably equally good (or better!)

In all, in your case you perhaps might want to have a look at El Born. Just for info I include links to three videos showing the areas of l'Eixample, Gràcia and El Born -as per the above map- so you can have a glimpse on what they look like:

L'EIXAMPLE: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

EL BORN: www.infocatalonia.eu/w/2013/12/01/el-born/

GRÀCIA: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

L'Eixample is classy and elegant, a large district with wide streets and avenues

El Born is historical with little streets and alleys, may get a bit rowdy at times

Gràcia is like a homy little town within the city with a life of its own, slightly farther (15' by metro) but worth considering.

Mentioned in this post
El Born
El Born
3,501 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 questions, My first trip to Spain...

Thanks!! This was extremely helpful. I read the "sticky" notes from Trip Advisor, but your answer really solidified my decision...El Born was my favorite. Gracia was nice as well. L'Eixample reminded me of the areas of Paris I like to walk through, but not stay in. (:

Mentioned in this post
El Born
El Born
3,501 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,440 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 questions, My first trip to Spain...

Glad that it helped.

5. Re: 2 questions, My first trip to Spain...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, March 17, 2015