We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona hotel--- Hilton???

Philly
Level Contributor
266 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona hotel--- Hilton???

My husband and I (early 50's) are beginning to plan a trip to Barcelona in late June/early July. We've never been. My husband has racked up a lot of Hilton Honors points and if located in a good area we would prefer to stay there. If not, we don't have to. We want to stay in a centrally located area where we can walk to museums, restaurants etc. Generally speaking we like museums, to visit unique churches (not for religious reasons), see castles/old homes, eat good food, and get a feel for the local culture. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Also, we plan to be there for a week.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,937 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona hotel--- Hilton???

The Hilton Hotel is not badly located, but it's not 'close' to the centre. Still, keep in mind Barcelona is a compact city and public transportation is quite good, fast, cheap, clean and totally safe. Say you take the metro in Maria Cristina (250 yards from the hotel) to Plaça Catalunya -considered the centre of the city, and in the same metro line -green, L3- would take about 30'.

mapametrobarcelona.net/mapas-metro/mapa-metr…

Have a look here to spot things you'd like to do, then ask us here :))

http://barcelonaturisme.com/

http://www.bcn.cat/en/

http://www.infocatalonia.eu

http://www.timeout.com/barcelona

Edited: 4:45 pm, January 14, 2014
Philly
Level Contributor
266 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona hotel--- Hilton???

The metro information is fantastic! Thanks so much. Do you know much about the neighborhood surrounding the Hilton?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,937 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona hotel--- Hilton???

Yes, it's a high-end neighbourhood, full of office buildings and classy shops. Several shopping centres in the area close to the hotel: L'Illa Diagonal and Pedralbes Centre.

This video is shot not so far from the hotel: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

For info: many European cities, especially in the south, the 'rough' hoods tend to be in the surrounding districts/towns rather than inside the city or in the centre. Having said that this is not so black and white, i.e. in Barcelona, the El Raval -right at the centre- can be seedy late at night or on the opposite end, the town of Sant Cugat, 10 miles from the city to the north is the town where residents have in average the highest income of all the region. But again, as a rule of thumb there aren't rough hoods in Barcelona -not anywhere you're bound to go anyway.

Edited: 5:06 pm, January 14, 2014
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona hotel--- Hilton???

Just a comment, there are TWO Hilton hotels in Barcelona, both in/near Av. Diagonal but in opposite ends of that avenue, that crosses all town.

The Hilton near metro Maria Cristina I believe is named Hilton Barcelona. Some colleagues stayed there last year and they were ver pleased. As Enric said, is not central but well connected by public transport and in a upscale neighborhood.

The "other" Hilton is in Diagonal Mar area, near the seaside. I've no direct feedback from that one but I guess it has Hilton standards so it should be nice. Some friends when visiting Barcelona stay usually at the hotel Princess next to that Hilton, as they love being near the beach (it may be a good point on your travel dates). This hotel is not central but, like the other, is well connected with the city centre by public transport.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,937 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona hotel--- Hilton???

Oopsy, that's so true, I completely forgot about the one in Diagonal Mar. Thanks Belsaita!

That I absolutely do not recommend, firstly it's very far from the centre -even if it's well connected- and secondly the hood has nothing to offer to a visitor (my view of course!), and if you venture too far up north you enter into, say "problematic" neighbourhoods :)

Edited: 5:53 pm, January 14, 2014
Philly
Level Contributor
266 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona hotel--- Hilton???

This hotel is also part of the Hilton group. Is this a better location? Alexandra Barcelona, a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,937 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelona hotel--- Hilton???

Indeed, it's located right at the heart of L'Eixample, a classy and elegant district a stone throw away of Plaça Catalunya -the so-called centre of the city- and next to Passeig de Gràcia, our version of London's Regent Street. I can't however give you any feed back about the hotel itself.

Philly
Level Contributor
266 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelona hotel--- Hilton???

Ah, so that is probably the better location then. Perhaps we will stay there.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
5,513 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelona hotel--- Hilton???

The new DoubleTree has the best location, true. But the Hilton Diagonal Mar is the best hotel in the group in Barcelona, in my opinion. Yes, it's not centrally located (but easily accessible by public transport). But the views from the higher floor rooms and the pool make up for that.

Edited: 5:39 am, January 17, 2014
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelona hotel--- Hilton???

Hehehe, it is fun how personal perceptions differ... None of the two Hilton's are central, but for me the Hilton Diagonal Mar looks not that far away. Probably because I do live not that far away from it! Both hotels are actually about 20 minutes by metro to the very city centre, just in opposite directions. And, by the way, there's nothing really "problematic" in the neighbourhood surrounding Diagonal Mar these days, some of the most expensive flats in town are sold/rent there, so go figure. You will have to walk quite a lot to find a not-so-nice area. The picture was quite different let's say 10 years ago, as it was in other areas in town too, but not now. .

So, as a summary I would say:

- Hilton Barcelona: posh neighbourhood, closer to Nou Camp if you plan to visit it. Near to metro line 3 so well connected to the centre (20-25 min to Plaça Catalunya)

- Hilton Diagonal Mar: near the convention centre and shopping mall and I must insist the neighbourhood is OK, working class at one side of the diagonal and a business/middle class area to the other. Near to the beach and great views. Near to metro Line 4 (20-25 minutes to Jaume I or Urquinaona) and tram (20 min to Ciutadella/Vila Olimpica)

- However, if you prefer staying central definitely the Double Tree Alexandra. There you will start sightseeing from the moment you step out the hotel.

Hope this helps!