We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

With a 2 year old?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
156 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
With a 2 year old?

My wife and I are considering travelling to Europe next summer with our 2 year old. We have been to Europe several times but never with a child. We would like to find a city/ country that has enough to do, which is clean, safe, were we can get around without a car and people preferably speak english in case my son should get sick. We are considering Amsterdam, Stockholm, Copenhagen and maybe a city in Germany like Munich, or possibly Barcelona eventhough we have been to Spain and they don't speak english. In any case which two places would work best for a 2 week vacation?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,937 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: With a 2 year old?

Why should the language dictate your destination?... with more or less ease but you'll manage almost anywhere in Europe -big cities or summer resorts that is. Besides, in Barcelona we have a 1st class medical staff, many coming from abroad, and English is not a problem should your child get sick. Note the level of English among the medical profession (as in 'doctors') in the main hospitals is good enough so don't worry.

Aside from Barcelona -which you should not count because I'm obviously biased ;) - I personally like Amsterdam and Copenhagen very much although Stockholm is also a nice city too. Munich unfortunately I can't say (yet!).

In any case, should you decide Barcelona, rest assured you'll have plenty of things to do and places to see. Note though that temperatures in summer can be a bit high, as in 90s with 70% humidity. Albeit a two year old is really very young to really 'enjoy' any trip, in Barcelona, off the top of my head, there are a few attractions that could be amusing to your child: http://www.zoobarcelona.cat/en/ , http://www.aquariumbcn.com/?lang=en , http://tibidabo.cat/en/homepage , http://trenparc.org/index_i.html ... A good source of activities for kids as young as yours is: http://www.kidsinbarcelona.com/ , www.timeout.com/barcelona/barcelona-for-kids and -to give you a well-respected source- fodors.com/news/what-to-do-in-barcelona-with…

Connecticut
Level Contributor
156 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: With a 2 year old?

I would love to go to Barca, but we have already been to Spain so it is not on the top of our list.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: With a 2 year old?

Hola AdamEvan,

I think I know how you feel. I traveled constantly until I had my son, at which point I stopped completely. Our first trip was when he was almost 2 yo and it was a day trip from Toronto to Chicago (to see the aquarium). At 4yo, I took him further - to my old hometown of San Francisco. He staggered onto the return flight, running a high fever, as sick as a dog. I had so much luggage that I could only ask him to hold on to my shirt as we made our way through the airport. I couldn't carry him or even hold his hand (I was traveling alone).

At 8yo, he went to Rome and the Amalfi Coast. That was the beginning of our wonderful travel experiences. Now he's 14 yo.

Fortunately there are 2 of you vs 1 of him. Going to a place where English is widely spoken makes things easier for you but imho, if you do your research carefully, you'll be fine even without a lot of English. I would choose a place that interests you, then find out what it offers for kids, select a location that is convenient to markets or subway, rent a good apartment. And carry a list of medical clinics, like this one:

…state.gov/libraries/…20Site.pdf

Expat Barcelona also has a list of English-speaking doctors. Here's a similar list from Barcelona-Metropolitan:

barcelona-metropolitan.com/search/…0

Connecticut
Level Contributor
156 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: With a 2 year old?

Thank you for your help.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,937 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: With a 2 year old?

@AdamEvan... fair enough then, you've been there so I'd also have a different priority :))

I am kind of in love with Amsterdam myself... have a look there, it's a wonderful city.

Btw, please no "Barca" but Barcelona. Barca (actually "Barça") is only the nickname for the football team. There's no short name for the city, sorry.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,970 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: With a 2 year old?

barna :p

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,937 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: With a 2 year old?

hahaha, Slatkin_10.... you're baaad, boy, you're baaad :))) Maybe we should explain the 'joke' so everybody gets it!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: With a 2 year old?

Or even Bcn is okay, I think.

slatkin is obviously a very bad boy; I've known him for several years and he's never clued me in on the joke! Plus he still owes me a hot chocolate.

Edited: 5:55 pm, October 14, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,937 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: With a 2 year old?

Hi Gigis_mum... it goes as follows: "certain posh people from Barcelona used to 'shorten' the name to "Barna" because it sounded more 'cool'.... and people across the rest of Catalonia laughed at this because in truth it does indeed sound ridiculous". So nowadays, using "Barna" would most likely tag you as being a silly posh, probably nouveau riche, bourgeois from Barcelona.

Edited: 6:22 pm, October 14, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,937 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: With a 2 year old?

...and Slatkin_10 knows this perfectly well so he's somehow scoffing at it.