We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Barcelona

Australia
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Barcelona

Hello

I am looking at joining a tour and I have the option of going by land from granada to valencia to barcelona or flying locally directly from granada to barcelona.

I was wondering which option I should take. Is there anything worth seeing if I do it by land?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Our Guide in Barcelona
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Barcelona Oculta Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Bike Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Kids&Cat
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Barcelona

Most of Spain?

If you took the overland route how would you travel and how long have you got? Also when?

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Barcelona

giraffez:

Valencia is worth seeing. The City of Arts and Sciences has a terrific aquarium called Oceanografic. I have been there 3 times already and have enjoyed that very much. It is the best aquarium in Spain.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Arts Barcelona
Hotel Arts Barcelona
4,942 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Oceanografic Valencia
Oceanografic Valencia
19,632 Reviews
Valencia, Spain
Valencia
Valencia
Province of Valencia, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
7,892 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Barcelona

pandachris quetions are really important. if you have not too much time, then fly, if you have a couple weeks go by land. there are so many things to see from granada to barcelona, but if you have not time enough then it is like visiting nothing, take some pictures and waste your time in a highway.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Barcelona

Thanks all.

Time isn't an issue. However, when going via a tour, it resticts a stop in granada then another at valencia then finally barcelona. The tour is 9 days and starts in Madrid. I was thinking if the route between granada to barcelona is mainly on the bus and nothing to see in between, then essetially its 2 day write off. If there are things to see along the way then, I wouldn't mind joining.

The tour itineary in Granada is Alhambra and Generalife. The itineary for Valencia is Peniscola, Centre of Arts and sciences(not sure whether we actually get to go in)and Cathedral with the octagonal tower

Edited: 5:19 am, October 03, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Generalife
Generalife
9,145 Reviews
Granada, Spain
Hotel Arts Barcelona
Hotel Arts Barcelona
4,942 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Granada
Granada
Valencia
Valencia
Peniscola
Peniscola
Province of Castellon, Spain
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,444 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Barcelona

Well, there are different routes to go from Granada to Barcelona, some shorter than others of course. One would be bordering the Mediterranean coast -which is probably the one most locals would use to travel between those cities- and the other would be via Madrid and Zaragoza.

In both cases you have plenty of things to visit, Spain is a country with several millennia of history and many things and tribes have passed by, each one leaving its imprint. If you were to choose the coastal route, a few of the places you should pay a visit to are: Elche, Valencia and Tarragona. If you decided to go via Madrid, I'd visit: Toledo, Madrid, Zaragoza and Lleida. These are obviously only a few, there are many other smaller places along the way worthy a visit.

Mentioned in this post
Elche
Elche
883 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Granada
Granada
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
Province of Zaragoza, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Valencia
Valencia
Tarragona
Tarragona
Costa Dorada, Spain
Toledo
Toledo
Province of Toledo, Spain
Lleida
Lleida
Province of Lleida, Spain
London, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Barcelona

Peniscola is called ' The City in the Sea 'because the old town is built on a rock surrounded by water but for a small neck of land.

It is a small walled town famous for being the home of the Pope during the Schism in the Roman Catholic church in the 14th Century. Originally a Moorish stronghold the city was taken over by the Knights Templars.

In modern times it was the City that was used to depict Valencia in the film epic 'El Cid' starring Sophia Loren and Charlton Heston.

It is in a very Spanish part of Spain between the Sierra d'Irta national Park and a 5km beach. Each year their are several festivals ranging from traditional such as Moors and Christians to modern such as Jazz and film festivals. You can still get a 4 course lunch including a bottle of wine from 10 euros

About an 11/2 hours drive north of Valencia and 21/2 south of Barcelona it is a popular stop. Although there are other places in the area ai suspect the tour that you are looking at uses Peniscola as a stop en route.

Mentioned in this post
Peniscola
Peniscola
Province of Castellon, Spain
Valencia
Valencia
Spain
Spain
Europe
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,296 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Barcelona

Giraffez,

In Valencia, I hope you get to visit the Lonja de Seda (Silk Exchange). It's not far from the cathedral. At the CAS, it's not a big deal if you cannot go in - imho the best part is the structure itself, seen from various sides, especially at dusk or dawn. The Science museum exhibits are rather mediocre. The aquarium is excellent.

Mentioned in this post
Valencia
Valencia
Australia
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Barcelona

Thank you all for your replies. Its very helpful

9. Re: Getting to Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 10, 2014