We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Barcelona for 10 days

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Barcelona for 10 days

I am planning to stay in an apartment in Barcelona for 10 nights from 17th August. I am torn between staying in the Gracia area or Barceloneta. We are travelling with an 8 yr old so do not know if being by the beach would be better. Any advice would be very welcome. Thank you

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,241 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Barcelona for 10 days

The Festa Major de Gracia will be at full steam when you arrive and lasts until Aug 21. It is a wonderful cultural and fun experience (sure your kid will love the decorated streets and specially the castellers, do not miss them!) but getting a good night sleep in some streets in Gràcia during these days may be mission impossible. It really depends on the exact apartment location.

Overall I like a lot more Gràcia than Barceloneta (and Barceloneta is the last beach in town I would use) but as said, giving your dates... it depends.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Barcelona for 10 days

I would prefer Gràcia as well. As belsaita says the youngster will love the festa major and will hopefully be inspired by the castellers because some of the 'stars' are the same age. We stayed on the edge of Gràcia last year and had no problems with noise but some of the streets will have load music until 2 or even 3 in the morning. I'll be honest and state that that's never a problem for us - we stayed in Berga for La Patum in May/June and our room overlooked a fun-fair that continued until well after we'd gone to sleep and a stage that had bands until very late on a couple of nights - but some people are much more sensitive to noise.

You could, of course, split between the two areas. I can't think of a reason not too. Or you could consider the Sants area because their festa major will start for about the 2nd half of you visit.

Bristol
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Barcelona for 10 days

Thank you for the help. Very hard decision to make, seems that the Gracia area will be a better option. Thank you once again.

Bristol
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Barcelona for 10 days

The apartment I am looking at is on Carrer de Saragossa, I am a bit concerned it is quite a way out?? Do not know if either of you could help with the location??? Thank you.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Barcelona for 10 days

Well it's closer than we stayed last year, hars. We were at the Silken Sant Gervasi in 2012 and we felt it was a pretty good location. We don't mind a bit of walking, though. I should think you'll have the best of both worlds. You're close to Gràcia but I think it will be fairly quiet. It's a short walk to both metro and train stations for getting to the city centre and other parts of the city. We might have looked at Hotel Guillermo Tell had we been returning this year because it would cut out the least interesting bit of our walk and that is on Carrer de Guillem Tell which crosses Carrer de Saragossa. I reckon you'll be alright there.

Bristol
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Barcelona for 10 days

Great thank you, will go for the apartment in Gracia, thank you.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
545 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Barcelona for 10 days

Gracias is a good option to stay!

You can of course easily go to the beach one or two days. Barcelona urban beaches are fine. For hotel Vela you the following.

Platja de Sant Sebastià & Sant mique

Platja de la Barceloneta

Platja de Somorrostro

Platja de Nova icària

Platja del Bogatell

Platja de mar Bella & Nova mar Bella

Platja de Llevant

Zona de banys del Forum

Check here to see which is the best for you.

barcelonaturisme.com/imgfiles/web/pdf/Barcel…

8. Re: Staying in Barcelona for 10 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 10, 2014