We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renfe price for a September trip between BCN and MAD

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Renfe price for a September trip between BCN and MAD

Hi All,

First and foremost, I am sending my deepest condolences to all the victims family and friends of the Santiago de Compostela train accident. Also wish a speedy recovery to all those injured.

Like many people in this forum, I been following RENFE schedule for an upcoming travel I have to make between Barcelona and Madrid. However, even though I received and saw good advices on this web site I am still a bit confused about the price for this trip.

I have selected September 18th schedule (which started to open up a bit over a week ago) for an outward trip between BCN (Sants) and MAD (Puerta de Atocha). I understand a bit the tickets coding ("M", "P", "P+", etc ...). The prices that is coming out right now seems to be pretty high (except for some "M" tickets but they are for 4 people ... I think?).

The best price I saw until now for 2 person on a Promotion ticket is 66.15 Euros (3.5 hrs and in a time period needed which is a departure in late AM or early PM). Because we followed the train schedule for a couple of months, the price seems high when compared to price ask a few weeks before (some down to 32 Euros in the needed time slot!).

Okay, all this to ask these simple questions:

Will prices go down? Should we still wait? When is the best time to buy the tickets?

Lastly, look at one way flights for the same day and prices were from $54/83 (Vueling & Iberia in cdn funds). That's much cheaper! However, we would prefer the train.

Hope you can help us make our choice!

Thanks,

Jean

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,089 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renfe price for a September trip between BCN and MAD

Hola Jean and welcome to TA Barcelona,

Renfe discounted train tickets are priced like low-cost airline tickets; when the first and cheapest bucket of tickets are sold out, the next bucket is offered and it is more expensive. As time goes by and Promotion tickets are all sold out, only Full Fare is left.

66€ does seem expensive for o/w tickets but this might have to do with the date of your travel. La Merce is on Sept 24. Comparing 12 noon departures from Sept 18 onwards, the Promotion price seems to climb steadily from 66€ to as high as 84€.

Bases upon current FX rates, cad 83 = 61 €. Iberia fares usually include 1 piece of checked-in luggage. Of course, you'll still need to factor in the cost of transportation to/from the airports (Barcelona Aerobus 6€ pp and Madrid airport express 5€). In comparison, the cost of getting to/from the train stations could be free, if the local commuter trains Rodalies (in Barcelona) and Cercanias (in Madrid) run close to your hotel. See CombinadoCercanias for more info.

renfe.com/EN/…combinado_cercanias.html

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Renfe price for a September trip between BCN and MAD

Thanks Gigis!

Just book a Promo ticket at 66€ for Noon. It's the 3h10 length itinerary but hope to see more of Spain like this!

Got also my CombinadoCercanias code number for the regional train. We may take the subway instead since we will have a transportation card (like T-10). Will depend on frequency of train and what TA members tell us.

Again, thank you for your advice.

Jean

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,089 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renfe price for a September trip between BCN and MAD

Jean,

You're most welcome! Btw, I live in T'O too although I'm currently spending the summer in Shanghai.

If your hotel/apt is located near Placa de Catalunya or Passeig de Gracia stations, the Rodalies train will connect you in under 5 minutes to Sants station. You can generate the Rodalies train schedule on the Renfe link below. Just choose a current date that corresponds to the same day of the week of your upcoming travel (I believe it's a Wednesday).

renfe.com/EN/…index.html

Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renfe price for a September trip between BCN and MAD

I was in the same boat err train..... watching to book Barcelona to Madrid on the September 27. The price is quite a bit higher than the prices for a few weeks earlier in the month. I went ahead and booked it... by the time I pay for luggage on Vueling it's a wash on price and I would much rather take the train.... and I was an airline pilot.

btw are you looking directly at Renfe's website or at Petrobax? The Petrobax site is easier for English speakers to understand but tickets were about $20 US more.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,068 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renfe price for a September trip between BCN and MAD

Friends:

Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online. The article explains everything you need to know.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,089 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renfe price for a September trip between BCN and MAD

VisuallyOriented,

I never use Petrabax, only Renfe. Jean was probably using Renfe too since we both found the same fare for the 12 noon train.

7. Re: Renfe price for a September trip between BCN and MAD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 31, 2014