We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

montjuic - is it worth?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
321 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
montjuic - is it worth?

hello. I will be in Barcelona from synday June 2 to June 9. I will go one day at PortAventura and one day in Girona. the other 4,5 days will be for Barcelona itself. Is it worth to go to Montjuic or should i just try to see more in the city?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,049 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: montjuic - is it worth?

Of course it's worth it! You get fantastic views and a completely different perspective on the City. Also it is mostly parkland, so you get to escape from busy city streets for a bit.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: montjuic - is it worth?

navis84:

On Montjuic is the Joan Miro Museum.

Also:

www.aviewoncities.com/barcelona/montjuic.htm

So you can go there if these sights interest you.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
321 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: montjuic - is it worth?

i am not much of a museum guy.. i sure like views but i thought i might not have time to go there because it is not very near the city center. also..does anyone know which is the best day to go to port aventura so it will not be very crowded? is it crowded in early June in general?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
321 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: montjuic - is it worth?

i am sorry..i meant montserrat if it is worth.. i am certainly going to go to montjuic,the fountain etc. Poble espanyol is it worth? :)

Washington...
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: montjuic - is it worth?

I just returned from Barcelona on Tuesday. My first time. I thought Montserrat was breathtaking and totally worth it but it would depend on what you like. I liked Montserrat over Montjuic, but it's apples and oranges. My only complaint about Montserrat was the cafeteria. Eat before or after or bring your own food!

If I knew how to post pics here I'd share but I am not a fan of embedding a link that can get shared.

Edited: 3:26 pm, May 23, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: montjuic - is it worth?

ML0927 - you can add photos here on the attraction review page. Scroll down, there is a link to "Add photo"

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187501-d1…

Edited: 5:51 pm, May 23, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,375 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: montjuic - is it worth?

Poble Espanyol shows you the regional architecture of Spain as the buildings are all reproductions of actual buildings, it's not a disneyesque pastiche. There is a good audioguide if you are interested in that particularly).

It is also a craft village so you can get some nice souvenirs/gifts. There are also restaurants and a small art museum.

we have been with many visitors and they enjoy it; It's great for photographers!

Apart from the Miró Foundation on Montjuic there is also the Sport and Olympics Museum, MNAC (Catalan National Art Museum) and Caixaforum ( which has great exhibitions on a wide range of themes)

Port Aventura will be quietest during the week rather than at weekends in early June It will probably be busy next week as it is school holidays in the UK then

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: montjuic - is it worth?

Hello, navis84,

Port Aventura, early June, on a weekday, should be ok. Avoid the weekend. Here on early June people is usually working, and kids are still going to school. There will be people from abroad, but not that much.

If you like hiking, the nature and/or seeing some nice monastery in the middle of a curious chain of mountains, you should go to Montserrat. If you have 4-5 days in Barcelona, you may have time to visit.

Enjoy your time in Barcelona!

Barcelona Step by Step

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: montjuic - is it worth?

Montserrat, absolutely!! Very special place worth the drive just for the scenery alone. Montjuic, will not go there again. Husband was pickpocketed there today, so if you go be very careful. Police station was full of people who had been robbed and picked in that same area!!

In Motion
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: montjuic - is it worth?

I'm sorry Susan about your experiences, I see it must have traumatised you as both your posts are very negative. Unfortunately things like this can happen in any big city, people have to be careful everywhere, not only in Barcelona or Montjuic. Otherwise Montjuic and the cable car ride is great, very much worth doing!